Question Can I connect these monitors to my laptop in a more convenient way?

Jul 3, 2022
I have a laptop that I want to try to connect to a pair of monitors I picked up, in order to extend my desktop.
  • Laptop - Lenovo Z70
    • USB A 3.0, HDMI, VGA
  • Monitor 1 - Dell P2417H
    • HDMI, DisplayPort, VGA
  • Monitor 2 - Dell 2208WFPt
    • DVI-D, VGA
The obvious thing is to connect them directly via a pair of cables (1x HDMI, 1x VGA), but I want to be able to remove the laptop to use it by itself elsewhere. This is really just a convenience thing, but I'm willing to buy something to get it. So my question is, does there exist a hub/dock setup that can do this?

I have found more than one USB-C hub that would do the job, but the Laptop doesn't have USB-C ports, or Thunderbolt either.
The laptop does have one USB-A port that's colored blue for 3.0, so there are two options:
(1) "convert" USB-A to USB-C, if that's actually possible, and then just get a USB-C hub, or
(2) find a hub/dock that actually uses USB-A on the host end.

For (1), this product looks like the kind of A-to-C adapter I would want, but one of the pictures on the entry helpfully tells me that it would not support sending out any display data. I can't tell if that's because that particular adapter product can't do it, or because it's not actually possible to do (for instance, because USB-A simply can't send it). Please let me know. If it's possible, this is the shortest route.

For (2), I am having a very tough time finding anything that looks like a hub that could be plugged into the USB-A 3.0 port, at least on Amazon. The most common search results are still for hubs that have USB-C on the host end. The second most common is for hubs that are purely USB-A. I have found this USB-to-HDMI hub with no VGA/DVI, and this USB-to-VGA hub with no DP/HDMI, and very little else. Is there perhaps a website that specializes in just cables/connectors and hubs? I'd love to be able to actually filter these results.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If I were you, I'd look into a dock/hub that's certified by Lenovo to be compatible with your laptop. Though given when the laptop was made to today, there's a good chance that the tech has trickled down to the generic Chinese branding shops, like the one you've picked out here;

I'd avoid the Type-C to Type-A mini adapter. Could you provide an SKU to your Lenovo Z70 laptop?