Can I connect two drives with one SATA power cable?

Solution
Lets consolidate the answers....both are fundamentally correct.

The power for your SATA comes from the PSU and is generally a daisy chained collection of around 3 SATA power connectors (give or take).

The data cables connect one SATA data point on the motherboard to the SATA drive.

As such - you can connect a number of drives to the same power - you can even use splitters if absolutely needed (not generally recommended) and you will need the same number of data cables as you do SATA drives.

That should satisfy your question.

avarice

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
Lets consolidate the answers....both are fundamentally correct.

The power for your SATA comes from the PSU and is generally a daisy chained collection of around 3 SATA power connectors (give or take).

The data cables connect one SATA data point on the motherboard to the SATA drive.

As such - you can connect a number of drives to the same power - you can even use splitters if absolutely needed (not generally recommended) and you will need the same number of data cables as you do SATA drives.

That should satisfy your question.

Solution

ITnonsavy

Reputable
Mar 16, 2016

Thanks. That did help.
I have another question: In one of the packs that I opened up, there seems to be two types of data cables? It is L-shaped and the other is flat. The flat seems to be the only one that I can plug in since my drives are mounted to the side of the case (Fractal Design Define S case). Are there differences between these two SATA 6Gb/s data cables?