Question can i control A-RGB fans by connecting them to usb header?

May 18, 2020
hello,

i just bought a new pc asus b450-f along with td500 mesh white and this case has 3x A-RGB 5v 3pin fans while the motherboard have only 2 rgb headers 4pin 12v, the case comes with this controller , and so i've been thinking of buying argb controller this one for better control of the fans.

And my question as it is in the title if i connected the new A-RGB controller to motherboard with ONLY USB HEADER can i control the color of the fans using CoolerMaster software?

Last edited:
Yes you can but that mini controller only has one argb header which means you're then going to have to run a spiltter aswell.

I wouldn't waste the money, use the included controller and you at least have standard rgb control over the fans.

You should really have bought a board with argb headers to make the most of argb case fans.

May 18, 2020
Instead of using a controller, why not just pick up an ARGB splitter that CoolerMaster make...? FYI, the controllers you're looking at don't manage the RPM of the fan blades, only the lighting.

I don't quite get what you are saying, can you atleast give me an example?

also the case has 1x ARGB 2-to-3 splitter included and the motherboard only have 2x 12v 4pin rgb header and no a-rgb headers which is giving me a headache

May 18, 2020
Yes you can but that mini controller only has one argb header which means you're then going to have to run a spiltter aswell.

I wouldn't waste the money, use the included controller and you at least have standard rgb control over the fans.

You should really have bought a board with argb headers to make the most of argb case fans.

the case has 1x ARGB 2-to-3 splitter included.
do you have an answer for the question ?

And my question as it is in the title if i connected the new A-RGB controller to motherboard with ONLY USB HEADER can i control the color of the fans using CoolerMaster software?

also i bought the motherboard before the case because i had another case in my mind but it was out stock and not gonna be in stock for a long time
also i made a post about this matter because i ran into a ton of problems with this thing ( https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/should-i-return-or-stick-with-it.3629587/ )

Last edited:
the case has 1x ARGB 2-to-3 splitter included.

also i bought the motherboard before the case because i had another case in my mind but it was out stock and not gonna be in stock for a long time
also i made a post about this matter because i ran into a ton of problems with this thing ( https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/should-i-return-or-stick-with-it.3629587/ )

I understand that sometime stock affects what you can actually buy.

Are you using the included controller at the moment?? What is it you're not happy with.

I do understand that traditional 4 pin rgb isn't anywhere near as user controllable as argb but for me personally that wouldn't matter.

Personally I'd be happy with standard 7 colour rgb control without all the fancy effects, it's something that seems exciting for the first week and then not so much afterwards.

May 18, 2020
I understand that sometime stock affects what you can actually buy.

Are you using the included controller at the moment?? What is it you're not happy with.

I do understand that traditional 4 pin rgb isn't anywhere near as user controllable as argb but for me personally that wouldn't matter.

Personally I'd be happy with standard 7 colour rgb control without all the fancy effects, it's something that seems exciting for the first week and then not so much afterwards.

i didn't build up the pc yet im waiting for the case to arrive also i ran into troubles with late shipping and cost
but from my research i found out that the rgb on the fans has no static mode which i really wanted and also i don't care about effects and the closest thing to static is pulsating mode

also do you have an answer for my question ?

Last edited:
i didn't build up the pc yet im waiting for the case to arrive also i ran into troubles with late shipping and cost
but from my research i found out that the rgb on the fans has no static mode which i really wanted and also i don't care about effects and the closest thing to static is pulsating mode

also do you have an answer for my question ?

I see now, that's bizarre that it doesn't allow static colour!!

The answer is yes with the masterplus software

Id wait and see just how bad the pulsating effect is first though personally.
Admittedly it would annoy me without a doubt so I sympathise

I was under the impression your current included controller can be connected through to a standard 4 pin rgb header and converts rgb to argb without all the standard argb bells and whistles.

I may be wrong but the one you can buy seperately definitely does, the included one may be a cut down version.

May 18, 2020
I see now, that's bizarre that it doesn't allow static colour!!

The answer is yes with the masterplus software

Id wait and see just how bad the pulsating effect is first though personally.
Admittedly it would annoy me without a doubt so I sympathise

its alright i had to buy the case because it was the only case available

I was under the impression your current included controller can be connected through to a standard 4 pin rgb header and converts rgb to argb without all the standard argb bells and whistles.

I may be wrong but the one you can buy seperately definitely does, the included one may be a cut down version.

from the videos i watched the controller has 3 pin to the motherboard ( i don't need to plug this to control them via mastercooler+ software right?)
all i need to do i to plug the fans with the splitter then to the controller, and SATA from PSU to the controller
correct me if im wrong please!
i need to 100% sure before buying now or later

its alright i had to buy the case because it was the only case available

from the videos i watched the controller has 3 pin to the motherboard ( i don't need to plug this to control them via mastercooler+ software right?)
all i need to do i to plug the fans with the splitter then to the controller, and SATA from PSU to the controller
correct me if im wrong please!
i need to 100% sure before buying now or later

Yes BUT

I have a sneaking suspicion that that controller also has the same issue in that it doesn't do static colour.

https://coolermaster.egnyte.com/dl/zzNjIcNNPN

Download that link, if you look at led modes there are speeds from 1 to 5, there is no option for solid colour, only slowest to fastest.

I can't actually find any decent reviews of it.

The zalman zsync does static colour and is also controllable via a USB header as well as manually , I think it's a better option IF its available to you.

May 18, 2020
Yes BUT

I have a sneaking suspicion that that controller also has the same issue in that it doesn't do static colour.

https://coolermaster.egnyte.com/dl/zzNjIcNNPN

Download that link, if you look at led modes there are speeds from 1 to 5, there is no option for solid colour, only slowest to fastest.

I can't actually find any decent reviews of it.

The zalman zsync does static colour and is also controllable via a USB header as well as manually , I think it's a better option IF its available to you.

i searched about zalman z-sync and i haven't found much the only thing i found in english is people complaining about software and someone in reddit is saying that his coolermaster fans are not working properly with it :/

also about cooler master software i found some videos showing the software
like this video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDpIFm3rFLQ

and this one
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3vqf5fdJbE

there is mode called customization which lets you decide the color on each led but im not sure

cooler master controller is controllable in software with usb header only without connecting the 3 pin to the mobo right?

May 18, 2020
all i need to know now before deciding to buy it. does anyone know If i can control the colors from the software with plugging USB HEADER ONLY and without plugging the 3 pin connecter?