Can I control fan speed?

Jul 26, 2018
Hello!
(I know this is noob question)

I am planning on buying this case:
FSP CMT510 RGB

Can I control the fans with a program on my motherboard? I'm going to buy an Asus prime b360 plus MOBO.

Solution
I agree, the control systems built into the mobo usually do a good job and can be configured within BIOS Setup. Further, most mobos come with a CD of drivers, utilities, etc. that includes a small Windows app for monitoring and configuring several mobo features like fan controls. So you can use this in Windows to observe and adjust. You may not need any other third-party tools for his job.

The fans pre-installed in your case probably are their CF12S11 models. The wiring to control their LED's will be pre-connected to a switch in the top front of the case, but each fan will have a 3-wire lead from it ending in a 3-hole female standard fan connector. You will need to connect those to the mobo SYS_FAN headers for power and control of the...
Jul 26, 2018

Yea they are connected to the motherboard. Do you reccomend any specific software to control the speed? Or via the bios?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I agree, the control systems built into the mobo usually do a good job and can be configured within BIOS Setup. Further, most mobos come with a CD of drivers, utilities, etc. that includes a small Windows app for monitoring and configuring several mobo features like fan controls. So you can use this in Windows to observe and adjust. You may not need any other third-party tools for his job.

The fans pre-installed in your case probably are their CF12S11 models. The wiring to control their LED's will be pre-connected to a switch in the top front of the case, but each fan will have a 3-wire lead from it ending in a 3-hole female standard fan connector. You will need to connect those to the mobo SYS_FAN headers for power and control of the fans. Now, you have only 2 headers, and 4 fans, so you'll need a couple of simple 4-pin fan SPLITTERS. Using them you can connect 2 fans each to the two headers. The fan current draws for these are small, so this is entirely OK within the limits of the fan headers. A Splitter is a simple device that connects both fans in parallel to the power from the header. It has one arm ending in a female fan connector to plug into the header, and two output arms ending in male (with pins) connectors for the fan to plug into. If has NO other types of "arms". Here's a typical unit.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812423161&cm_re=coboc_fan_splitter-_-12-423-161-_-Product

A 4-pin Splitter will work just fine with 3-pin fans, and you'll find the result simply is that one male pin will NOT be connected.

Within BIOS Setup you should check for two configuration items on EACH of the mobo SYS_FAN headers. First, set its control to use DC Mode, and not PWM Mode, since your fans are controlled by the older Voltage Control method. Secondly, each header gives you a choice of what temperature sensor it uses to guide it. For your case vent fans, set this to the Motherboard temp sensor, and not the one inside the CPU chip and not the option for a sensor on a video card. After making any changes in BIOS Setup, remember to SAVE and EXIT.

Solution