Can i control one computer with two keyboards mice monitors

Rich212

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
Hello,
My PC, keyboard, mouse and 17” monitor are in Room # 1. I installed an external video card which does a fine job of showing an identical signal on the 37” plasma display in Room # 2. But control is the issue. I’d like to be able to control the PC from whichever room I happen to be in at the moment, instead of dashing back into Room # 1.

Does anyone have a solution for this? Can I connect my two keyboards and two mice to the PC with a USB switch, so that I can choose which “control station” I wish to use? Or is a “reverse” KVM switch the way to go?

chugot9218

Honorable
Hmm, I am not sure how exactly this would work out. A recommendation I have would be to buy a couple (2) combination wireless mouse/keyboard sets (I bought an M-Something by logitech, maybe m35 for like 40-50 bucks at walmart, maybe less). The logitech set I bought comes with 1 "dongle" that is plugged into the PC and receives the wireless signal. What is nice about this keyboard/mouse set is that they (and if I had read correctly, other logitech devices) all use the same USB receiver (kind of new technology/a big deal). Each mouse and keyboard have individual on/off switches and also sleep themselves, but I believe you could have all 4 "on" or in sleep states, and the PC will respond to whatever input you happen to be using at the time (whichever set). Perhaps someone else can present an alternative or confirm if this is possible, you could contact Logitech and ask them if it would work.

thinbear

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
Yes you can.
I have one wired mouse for gaming and one wireless for home theater.

No extra special device is need. Your computer can have more than 1 mouse/ keyboard

Rich212

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
Many thanks for such fast answers!

I’ve tried variations on what all of you have suggested (except for Ikaz’ idea, which intend to try at a later date!), with varying results, so now I’m thinking driver or equipment incompatibility. The (admittedly) cheapo mini-keyboard/touchpad in Room 2 may simply not be able to compete with the name-brand wireless keyboard/mouse combination in Room 1, so I’m going to try getting a new, better keyboard.

I’m looking at one of the Iogear wireless units (with trackball) that are intended for use with HTPC applications. Anybody have any comments on those?

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

One Logitech receiver can be programmed to connect to 6 wireless devices at the same time. So one mouse, one keyboard. That makes two. You have room for four more devices to connect wirelessly. Another mouse, another mouse, etc. Of course, the brand of the wireless devices must be Logitech, I guess.

Waynebrt

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
My situation has a keyboard and mouse working the one PC from 2 other locations 100 metres away by using a LAN USB extender. This just extends the USB over a Cat 5 or 6 cable. The hardware (a "transmitter" and "receiver" to covert the USB to go up the LAN cable and then convert back to USB) cost about $40. That and a LAN cable is all you need. As with you, in my case I have the video extended over a cable and it is fine to see what I am controlling.

Hope this may help