[SOLVED] Can I cool just my CPU or do i need to cool my CPU and GPU?

Dec 29, 2021
I'm building a pc and before I order everything, I want to know if I can water cool just my CPU or if I need to water cool my GPU and CPU and if that's the case, I think I'll just stick with air cooling. For context, the CPU I am getting is the i7 12700k and the GPU is the RTX 3060 ti.

Solution
I know the CPU needs a cooling option. My question was do I need to buy liquid cooling for just the CPU or if I have to liquid cool both if I want to liquid cool the CPU. I have heard the 12th gen CPUs get quite hot so I am guessing it is a better investment. I am asking this because in the videos saw, the person liquid cooling replaces the fan with a metal plate for their water cooling.
You don't NEED liquid cooling for the CPU.
You do not need any extra cooling for the GPU.

Be careful of what you see on utube.
Dec 29, 2021
Neither component needs liquid cooling.

The GPU even less, it has fans and such already built in.

The CPU needs some sort of cooling option.
Either air or liquid.
I know the CPU needs a cooling option. My question was do I need to buy liquid cooling for just the CPU or if I have to liquid cool both if I want to liquid cool the CPU. I have heard the 12th gen CPUs get quite hot so I am guessing it is a better investment. I am asking this because in the videos saw, the person liquid cooling replaces the fan with a metal plate for their water cooling.

USAFRet

Titan

Solution
Dec 29, 2021

Seems like you are misinterpreting what I am saying or my wording isn't good, I know that I don't NEED liquid cooling, but if I were to get liquid cooling, would I have to cool both the CPU and GPU or just cool the CPU if I wanted to, either way it doesn't matter as I already have an answer to my question. Sorry for taking time out of your day

USAFRet

Titan
Seems like you are misinterpreting what I am saying or my wording isn't good, I know that I don't NEED liquid cooling, but if I were to get liquid cooling, would I have to cool both the CPU and GPU or just cool the CPU if I wanted to, either way it doesn't matter as I already have an answer to my question. Sorry for taking time out of your day
No, you do NOT need to liquid cool both.

One or the other, independently. Or neither.