[SOLVED] Can i cover Crossfire r9 270x with my current power supply?

VonDutch22

Commendable
May 8, 2020
Hello. I want to connect 2 GPU's with crossfire (R9 270x) the problem is that both cards requiring 2x6pin cables, the second GPU including in box a PCIe adapter, can that adapter cover the second GPU? or do i need to cover both 6pins so i have to buy another PCIe adapter. I have free peripheral connectors (4pins) if needed. Here is the PCIe adapter type https://www.akyga.com/product-big-image/AK-CA-13/AK-CA-13_01.jpg

If that helps, here are the specs of my old 700Watt PSU (2008)

THERMALTAKE W0105 TOUGHPOWER 700W
Type: ATX 12V 2.2.
Crossfire support.

Connection: 1 x 20/24-pin Main Connector, 1 x 4-pin +12V Power Connector, 7 x 4-pin Peripheral Power Connector, 2 x 4-pin Floppy Drive Connector, 2 x 6-pin PCI Express Connector, 6 x 5-pin S-ATA Connector.

Output Power Supplies: +3.3V - 30A, +5V - 28A, +12V1 - 18A, +12V2 - 18A, +12V3 - 18A, +12V4 - 18A, -12V - 0.8A, +5VSB - 3A.

Thanks.

Solution
a 700w psu should have at least 4 x 6+2 pin connections. the fact this one does not is all you need to know that it can't handle it. to only include 150w worth of pcie from "700w" psu is all i need to know to avoid it.

get yourself a new psu with the right connections or risk all kinds of problems up to and including a fireball inside the pc if you try to use a bunch of adapters. it just can't output the power no matter how many fake connections you use adapters to create. they do not create any new power, they just change one under-powered one to another.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
a 700w psu should have at least 4 x 6+2 pin connections. the fact this one does not is all you need to know that it can't handle it. to only include 150w worth of pcie from "700w" psu is all i need to know to avoid it.

get yourself a new psu with the right connections or risk all kinds of problems up to and including a fireball inside the pc if you try to use a bunch of adapters. it just can't output the power no matter how many fake connections you use adapters to create. they do not create any new power, they just change one under-powered one to another.

Reactions: VonDutch22
Solution

VonDutch22

Commendable
May 8, 2020
Thanks for your replies guys. No risks for fireballs.. You saved me from buying the second R9, btw that 12 years old PSU have 30k+ hours working (desktop/gaming) i wonder why is still alive :p Thank you!

Hello. I want to connect 2 GPU's with crossfire (R9 270x) the problem is that both cards requiring 2x6pin cables, the second GPU including in box a PCIe adapter, can that adapter cover the second GPU? or do i need to cover both 6pins so i have to buy another PCIe adapter. I have free peripheral connectors (4pins) if needed. Here is the PCIe adapter type https://www.akyga.com/product-big-image/AK-CA-13/AK-CA-13_01.jpg

If that helps, here are the specs of my old 700Watt PSU (2008)

THERMALTAKE W0105 TOUGHPOWER 700W
Type: ATX 12V 2.2.
Crossfire support.

Connection: 1 x 20/24-pin Main Connector, 1 x 4-pin +12V Power Connector, 7 x 4-pin Peripheral Power Connector, 2 x 4-pin Floppy Drive Connector, 2 x 6-pin PCI Express Connector, 6 x 5-pin S-ATA Connector.

Output Power Supplies: +3.3V - 30A, +5V - 28A, +12V1 - 18A, +12V2 - 18A, +12V3 - 18A, +12V4 - 18A, -12V - 0.8A, +5VSB - 3A.

Thanks.

That is a VERY OLD PSU that pre-dates graphics cards having more than one PCIe power connector. That's why, as a 700W, it only has two PCIe power connectors and why they're only 6-pin and not 6+2-pin.

That PSU needs to be retired and replaced with something made in the last decade.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, as Nighthawk noted, it's not even worth doing anyway, even if you had some overkill Titanium, top-of-the-line power supply. Multi-GPU solutions are more or less dead. While a few games scale well, in most, having two 270x GPUs is only going to be as powerful as 1.0-1.4 GPUs, not two. And that's before considering micro-stuttering.