[SOLVED] Can i custom build in a alienware r5 case?

Solution
Afaik, the Aurora R5 uses a mATX mobo. Several sources have put the standard psu as sort of loud, so you might either opt for the upgraded 850w psu or see if you can size out an aftermarket ATX on that swing arm. Really neat design though, and works well for an aio unless you opt for an uber low profile aircooler. Psu swing arm prevents tower cpu usage. For gpu, Dell can opt for a 1080ti in there, but those are reference blower style gpus, not aftermarket axial. Heat won't be an issue with the right design, but opting for coolers/gpus that put heat into the case will probably cause issues with the limited space, cluttered compact design.

One place you might run into issues is with the front motherboard connectors, quite often Dell uses...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Afaik, the Aurora R5 uses a mATX mobo. Several sources have put the standard psu as sort of loud, so you might either opt for the upgraded 850w psu or see if you can size out an aftermarket ATX on that swing arm. Really neat design though, and works well for an aio unless you opt for an uber low profile aircooler. Psu swing arm prevents tower cpu usage. For gpu, Dell can opt for a 1080ti in there, but those are reference blower style gpus, not aftermarket axial. Heat won't be an issue with the right design, but opting for coolers/gpus that put heat into the case will probably cause issues with the limited space, cluttered compact design.

One place you might run into issues is with the front motherboard connectors, quite often Dell uses a proprietary connection for the Dell motherboard. It's not a big deal to re-pin for an aftermarket mobo, but is a pain to do when all you want to do is get-r-done.

Last edited:
Solution
Mar 2, 2019

One place you might run into issues is with the front motherboard connectors, quite often Dell uses a proprietary connection for the Dell motherboard. It's not a big deal to re-pin for an aftermarket mobo, but is a pain to do when all you want to do is get-r-done.
Ok thank you I was also wondering I am planning on getting 3200mhz g skillz ripjaws v I currently have 2400mhz would it increase fps ? I have ryzen 5 2400g and rx 580 8gb

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yep. Or I should say it should on average get somewhere around 15% better fps if that APU can do it, you may get a little hampered by that APU's shortage of Lcache in some games, so it'll depend on the exact games response.

Ryzens love fast ram, and 3200 is value/performance king. Faster ram might be better but the gains kinda get smaller after 3200 while the price goes up.