[SOLVED] Can I Cut my PCIe Slot?

Fellanah

Reputable
Jan 19, 2016
By no means would I call myself tech illiterate as I practically grew up surrounded by it. However, I recently acquired an old server motherboard and I am stumped as to what to do about the PCIe slots.

Clearly, from the image The first slot allows me to put in a full sized card as it doesn't have the small bit blocking it - as seen in the other slots. This stops me from adding in additional PCIe cards unless I use a riser. Chipping off the small bit from the slot would do the trick, wouldn't it? Thanks in advance everybody.

Solution
By no means would I call myself tech illiterate as I practically grew up surrounded by it. However, I recently acquired an old server motherboard and I am stumped as to what to do about the PCIe slots.

Clearly, from the image The first slot allows me to put in a full sized card as it doesn't have the small bit blocking it - as seen in the other slots. This stops me from adding in additional PCIe cards unless I use a riser. Chipping off the small bit from the slot would do the trick, wouldn't it? Thanks in advance everybody.
Those are x8 slots. The one with the notch will support an x16 card running as an x8 interface. The other slots are intended for x8 or smaller cards.
Could you cut that plastic...

kanewolf

Titan

Those are x8 slots. The one with the notch will support an x16 card running as an x8 interface. The other slots are intended for x8 or smaller cards.
Could you cut that plastic? Probably. Would you damage the slot? Maybe.
Servers don't usually have multiple GPUs since they don't have the power infrastructure to support them. The slots would usually have storage or networking cards. Those are usually x8 or smaller.

Reactions: Fellanah
Solution