Question can I cut off the power cable?

pikapika1998

Prominent
Dec 27, 2020
hi , sorry if my English bad or i can't make clear in some point

Yh9Nee0.png

My computer case doesn't have much space, I need to plug in the cable as shown in the picture to get more capacity to power a new HDD I bought, so, I mean, the cable in the picture has too many wires , and i am short on space , can i cut it like that ?

kanewolf

Titan
I still don't understand the answer? Technically I can do it, but in practice? :(
The answer is, that if you do that, you need to do something to ensure that the exposed wire ends don't touch together or touch metal. @tennis2 is saying that you need to put an insulator on the cut wire. IF you do that, then you should be OK with cutting off the extra SATA power plugs.

Reactions: pikapika1998
hi , sorry if my English bad or i can't make clear in some point

Yh9Nee0.png

My computer case doesn't have much space, I need to plug in the cable as shown in the picture to get more capacity to power a new HDD I bought, so, I mean, the cable in the picture has too many wires , and i am short on space , can i cut it like that ?

Look if you wanna cut it off, go right on ahead. Slap some electrical tape on the exposed cut end so you dont short anything out.

However... dont cut it. You may need the extra ports in the future. Then you will need to spend money on a new cable. Sure.. if money is no issue, do as you wish. But, a better idea, would be to just tape the wires together so the 2 extra ports arent hanging off. Then they are cleaner looking, out of the way, and you dont have to destroy a perfectly good cable.

Reactions: pikapika1998