[SOLVED] Can i cut this cable?

tom5577

Prominent
May 29, 2019
Hello. I recently bought a few fans for my new pc. They were pretty cheap ones off amazon but still had good reviews. Anyway, There are two connecters on each fan. One is a small 4 pin and the other is a really big 4 pin connector. I am only using the small one (directly to mobo or splitting) and am wondering if i can cut the extra connector off as seen here:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/N...fGeW35bzq9hCVDtBo_hf2VW31g_NbEJk=w540-h959-no
The other strange thing is that it opens up on the side. Also, my PSU has a few cables that look like they should fit with it but they are almost identical. Is there something wrong with my psu? thanks guys!

Solution
I always cut off the Molex whenever there is one of those ugly things on a 3-wire fan cable. Then I squeeze a dab of silicone sealant on the exposed conductors, let it dry, and never think of it again.

tom5577

Prominent
May 29, 2019
you can.
I would not.
right now the device is electrically insulated, cutting the wires will expose the end of the wires and any conductor can short them.
If the extra plug bother you so much return the fans and get the proper units. I would not risk a house fire for this.
Thanks. Do you know about why the connector on PSU doesn't work for this?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
no. it should be the alternate power source.
the motherboard can control the speed, connecting to the large 4 pin Molex connector give only power and the fans will run at full speed, always.
Molex connectors are not the standard anymore. the plugs can be a bit fussy, the silver sockets in the port sometimes do not line up and need a little wiggle to make the connection the plastic socket itself is sometimes small or larger than standard. Just one of the reasons the SATA power connector is the new standard