[SOLVED] Can I damage my headphones if playing sounds too loud through an audio card? EVGA Nu Audio and AKG K7XX headphones.

Bears133

Reputable
Aug 31, 2019
I recently got the EVGA Nu Audio card. I noticed the manual says to set the headphone volume to the rated impedance of your headphones (k7xx), so in this case that would be 10% according to their math in the manual, and then change the master volume when adjusting volume. With that setting I can barely hear anything at 100% master volume... So what's the deal here? Will I damage my headphones or the audio card if I play at higher percentage headphone volume? Like 60%-80%?

Here is the manual for the audio card. This is mentioned at the bottom of page 5

Bears133

Reputable
Aug 31, 2019
Yes you can damage headphones/speakers if you over power them. However if you can barely hear them then something is not right.

That's what i thought. I'm pretty sure i installed it correctly. Followed their instructions and updated drivers and everything, but when I got to the step for tweaking the headphone volume and master volume it seemed way off. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Not sure what i am doing wrong.

Edit*
Also, can I overpower headphones without them even being that loud and just haveing high headphone volume and lower master volume? Or do you over power them by just playing way to loud? I am very new to amps and dacs.