Can i delete avi files?

PeteGetz

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Hello,
my explorer.exe is causing my cpu to run on 100%, when I close the Explorer in the task mgr, the cpu goes down dramatically.
Please advise,
Pete

Is the "Can i delete avi files? " related to your 100% cpu usage? If so then definity delete the avi file that keep on crashing your explorer.exe when you try to open it. The explorer.exe trys to read the info eg. resolution, size, bitrate etc on an broken avi file will cause that problem. There is no fixing but to get that avi again from another source.

PeteGetz

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Emperus,Anort3and Pyree, thanks for the responses.
I have ran Mcafee, Registry Clean up, Disk Cleanup, Removed .avi files, quite a lot of .avi files would not allow me to remove them, emptied recycle bin, rebooted several times, ran file defrag and registry defrag.
It seems like some file in the Explorer.exe is causing this. As soon as I remove Explorer.exe the cpu goes back to 10, 20 % performance. Explorer.exe is using 80 to 90 % of cpu. Is there a tool to find the file that is causing it? I suspect it is a malware and probably is in the registry. This is a desktop and I have a Vista Premium Home addition with 2 Gig Ram, hard drive 133gb free of 232gb, 1300 Atheon Graphic card.

PeteGetz

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Daplinsta, I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit, Pentium 4, 2.8 Gig cpu,

Now "system idle process" and Explorer.exe takes turn in hogging the cpu resources.