Can i delete this folder?

Dauh

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Can i delete this folder?
this folder showing up after i get error from windows 10@reformat windows 10.

gq2KyCZ.jpg

2c9WHg3.jpg

Solution

That's my thought, and might also explain it's unhidden nature. If it does not change at all over a period of say a month with installs etc. then it is probably redundant.

Dauh

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

why? can you explain

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did you do something like this?

I don't think you can delete that file and its strange its even showing as I would have expected folder to be hidden by default.

Well, I tracked down what's causing the ETL file to update every day. It's coming from a task in Task Scheduler called Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser which belongs to the Customer Experience Improvement Program except that I opted out of that when I first bought the laptop in February last year.

So it would seem that M$ has just chosen to ignore users wishes and send telemetry data every day regardless.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2979947

Just disable the service.

Ralston18

Titan
Just a general question:

The offending folder is on the D: drive (Western Digital) - could the folder just be some residual leftover from a backup or other process (either end user created or automatically launched)?

In which case, I would hope, its presence would be moot.

That's my thought, and might also explain it's unhidden nature. If it does not change at all over a period of say a month with installs etc. then it is probably redundant.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
Windows hides folders it recognizes as system folders even if they not in use. I have a 92gb system restore folder on my 2nd hdd left over from last install and its hidden on that drive. I just know its there as defraggler refused to defrag it for a while.

So it might be a left over but it still is strange its showing.