[SOLVED] Can I detach & use the Intel Core-i5 8250U of my laptop to build a desktop?

Jul 2, 2020
My laptop is HP Probook 450 G5, which also has an NVIDIA GeForce 930MX, that I'd also like to use in the desktop build. Is it possible in any way?

Jul 2, 2020
There is no "compatible case". This would be a whole DIY thing, resulting in exactly the same performance you have now.
With the added difficulty of not having the laptop screen.

Sell the laptop, and use those funds as the basis for a desktop.
No no, you're misinterpreting. I don't want increased performance, I want the exact same performance! Actually my laptop display is already broken internally, so instead of getting it replaced, i wanted to get rather a cheap external monitor & turn it into a fully functional desktop. As for selling it, I think I'll have a hard time doing that especially considering its current situation. No one would like to have a half-broken laptop, at least not for a good price.

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
There is a guy in China who made adapters and mated certain Crystal Well (with large on-board video buffer that can be used as "L4 cache" when the built-in graphics is disabled) mobile CPUs to run in 1150 socket. I am not aware of such adaptations with any other later mobile processors.

USAFRet

Titan
No no, you're misinterpreting. I don't want increased performance, I want the exact same performance! Actually my laptop display is already broken internally, so instead of getting it replaced, i wanted to get rather a cheap external monitor & turn it into a fully functional desktop. As for selling it, I think I'll have a hard time doing that especially considering its current situation. No one would like to have a half-broken laptop, at least not for a good price.
As said, you'd have to DIY up some sort of a case. There is nothing off the shelf for this.
And not having the default screen...the laptop screen...will make working with the BIOS quite tricky.