Question Can i disable or not use 1 core in core 2 quad

Jun 23, 2022
Recently i had a system freezing problem and i found out core #3(last core) giving problems. I have G41T-m6-v3 MB and there is no option for disabling cores in bios.. So can i do it on windows and How will be disabling a core affect performance ???

*I found out #3 core is faulty with stress test by OCCT software. While Scanning It gives Bunch of errors in #03 core and i tried to perform a single core stress test on #3 core it always Freezes. I know Best Solution is Replacing the processor and I cant really do that at the moment :-(

*I'm Running on windows 7 ultimate

Thank you

@Shen Chamikara
Open msconfig, click on the Boot tab and press the Advanced Options... button. Try setting Number of processors to 3. Reboot.

If you get lucky, it might disable the last core that you are having problems with.

6ZIeWkM.png

If this does not solve your problem, clear the Number of processors box, press OK, reboot and everything will be back to normal.

Have you tried increasing the CPU voltage in the BIOS? It is normal for CPUs to need a little more voltage as they age so that they remain 100% stable. Run CPU-Z and see what it is reporting for your CPU voltage. You can also use HWiNFO.

Jun 23, 2022
@Shen Chamikara
Open msconfig, click on the Boot tab and press the Advanced Options... button. Try setting Number of processors to 3. Reboot.

If you get lucky, it might disable the last core that you are having problems with.

6ZIeWkM.png

If this does not solve your problem, clear the Number of processors box, press OK, reboot and everything will be back to normal.

Have you tried increasing the CPU voltage in the BIOS? It is normal for CPUs to need a little more voltage as they age so that they remain 100% stable. Run CPU-Z and see what it is reporting for your CPU voltage. You can also use HWiNFO.

I Did disabling cores. After Disabling i ran a stress test. on that #1 core(2nd core) had errors

SS of Cpu-Z. Are there any problems in voltage here