Can I do a fresh install on integrated GPU only?

becisB

Commendable
Oct 22, 2016
I have an Asus N71Ja with a dedicated GPU (ATI Radeon HD 5730) and an integrated GPU (GMA HD 3150). I am pretty sure that the dedicated GPU died. I kept getting BSODs from graphic driver with increasing frequency until it won't even start up. After a while even safe mode stopped working. I am already getting a new notebook, but it would be a shame to throw this one out, if it could somehow run with integrated GPU only.
I am trying a complete restore from DVDs, but after the first restart and startup there is a BSOD from graphics driver. Safe mode will not start because it is saying "Windows cannot complete installation in safe mode". I have the latest 206 version of BIOS from Asus (still pretty old, 2010), but it is very simple and I see no setting for a GPU to disable it. Is there a way to do a system restore or a fresh install that would not touch the dedicated GPU, but run on the integrated GPU only? Or should I somehow physically remove the GPU?

Thanks.

Solution
I think I got this to work! I found the answer in:
http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/11273-install-windows-7-safe-mode.html

Basicly, when the safe mode tells you it cannot complete the installation in safe mode, it is still usable. You just need to press SHIFT+F10 and you will get a working command line. From there start the device manager - type CompMgmtLauncher in C:\Windows\System32 (or in X:\Windows\System32 if you are before the first restart) and disable the dedicated graphic card.

Tumeden

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016
If you think the dedicated GPU died, it never hurts to remove it if you know how to work on computers.
After it's removed you should theoretically just be able to plug your monitor into your integrated GPU and it should work.

becisB

Commendable
Oct 22, 2016
I do know a bit about computers and how they work, but I am not very experienced with hardware maintenance outside standard disassembly for cleaning. I may have not made it clear that this is a notebook, not a desktop.
I am not sure if dedicated GPU can be removed on this Asus notebook and I did not see a second port to plug the monitor in, I will have a look. I am saving the physical removal of the GPU as a last resort when I am sure destroying the computer would not matter anymore. For now I would like to know If the problem can be solved on the software side.

Thanks.

becisB

Commendable
Oct 22, 2016
I think I got this to work! I found the answer in:
http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/11273-install-windows-7-safe-mode.html

Basicly, when the safe mode tells you it cannot complete the installation in safe mode, it is still usable. You just need to press SHIFT+F10 and you will get a working command line. From there start the device manager - type CompMgmtLauncher in C:\Windows\System32 (or in X:\Windows\System32 if you are before the first restart) and disable the dedicated graphic card.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS