Question Can I do a simple SSD swap ?

accesscpu_

Honorable
May 7, 2019
I currently run Windows 10 on an Inland 1TB m.2 2280 PCIe Gen 3x4 SSD, and need to swap it out for a 2TB SSD on my next clean install for more space.

I want this to be a simple swap, no muss or fuss. I have found other 2TB SSD drives on Amazon, that are m.2 / PCIe Gen 3x4 (but they are not listed as 2280). Does that part matter for a simple swap (as long as the other specs match)?

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your motherboard is you're dealing with a PC, make and model of your laptop if you're not dealing with a PC.

If you have 2xM.2 slots that accept NVMe drives, I'd retain the smaller drive with the OS and add a larger drive as your game library, if that's what you're trying to achieve with a large capacity SSD.

2280 is the dimensions for the stick of gum style SSD, meaning 22mm across, 80mm long.

Reactions: CountMike
If you are willing to reinstall windows and don't need anything off the old SSD then it should be trivial to swap a larger SSD.

2280 is the physical size and if the photo looks the same size it likely is. Almost all ssd are 2280 size but you will at time see shorter ones. Most motherboards can take a couple different lengths

USAFRet

Titan
I currently run Windows 10 on an Inland 1TB m.2 2280 PCIe Gen 3x4 SSD, and need to swap it out for a 2TB SSD on my next clean install for more space.

I want this to be a simple swap, no muss or fuss. I have found other 2TB SSD drives on Amazon, that are m.2 / PCIe Gen 3x4 (but they are not listed as 2280). Does that part matter for a simple swap (as long as the other specs match)?
Yes.
A swapping the drive and a clean install is easy.

Be sure you backup any files you wish to keep, and document all your username/passwords, etc.

Then, a fresh install on the new drive, no problem.

2280 is the most common size of NVMe drives. 22mm wide, 80mm long.

accesscpu_

Honorable
May 7, 2019
Let me add a bit more specifics on exactly what I'm looking to do below (would love input/thoughts before I buy):

This is the current SSD that came stock with the pre-built ROG desktop I'm on (it came with the PC, but I wiped and reinstalled Windows 10):

QPmixV8.jpeg

And this is the one I'd like to replace it with. This will be a full clean install of Windows 11, no need to transfer anything over from the old drive (I have all those files ready on a separate HDD):

a2QAshg.png

My questions are:
  1. I assume this will match all my current hardware and will fit no problem (based on the current one I have installed)? Will this be an easy swap (IE: remove the older SSD, insert the new one and just run the Windows 11 bootable USB installer)?
  2. The old one is Gen 3x4 and the new one is Gen4. I heard this can get hotter and may need a heatsink (which I'm trying to avoid). Would it be a big deal just to do a 1:1 swap without adding the heatsink?

TRENDING THREADS