Question can I do anything to lower my GPU fan noise..?

Sep 29, 2019
My GPU temps get to about 80c underload,so I keep my fans at 75% so that temps don't go over 75c underload,but the noise kinda bothers me,can I do something about the fana nosies...?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
75% fan speed = 75% fan noise - not a lot that can be done there.

You could look to improve case airflow, so your GPU is receiving more fresh/cool air, which should reduce temps & allow you to run your fans at a lower RPM, reducing noise.

Depending on the age of the card, a physical clean could be beneficial. Dust buildup in the fans, or aged thermal paste could have degraded performance. Realistically though, unless you're in a particularly dusty environment, or the card is a few years old, this probably isn't necessary. Some GPUs do ship with pretty poor TIM though... So it all depends on the card.

Beyond improving airflow, you're only really left with opting for a silence focussed case (although can be to the detriment of airflow), or an after market GPU cooler (not particularly viable on anything below the top end GPUs).

What case are you using?

What GPU are you talking about, specifically? Some cards (like modern AMD cards) are spec'd to be 'safe' through something like 110'C, so 80'C wouldn't really be cause for concern.

If you are OK with the fan noise at 80C......I would leave the fans on "auto".

but the noise kinda bothers me

Doesn't sound like they're totally ok with the noise.

80C is perfectly fine for a GPU.

A little simplistic there. While 80'C shouldn't be damaging to any modern card, it's certainly warm for most GPUs. Depending on the workload, that may or may not be much of a problem.

Reactions: Karadjgne

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
A little simplistic there. While 80'C shouldn't be damaging to any modern card, it's certainly warm for most GPUs. Depending on the workload, that may or may not be much of a problem.

Exactly. If the gpu is at high workloads, like trying to push 4k resolutions at 90+ % usage, then 80°C is kinda expected and a normal thing. If the gpu is at 1080p and barely pushing 50% ish and seeing 80°C, we'll that's a problem since switching to a heavier graphics demand game is going to hurt performance badly when the gpu thermally throttles.

Fixing gpu temps, fan speeds etc isn't all that difficult. It's no more than one foot in front of the other when walking.

First figure out the reason for the temps. Is it uber high workloads, lack of airflow because of hdd cages or proximity to psu, is it even lackadaisical airflow in the case, from cages, lack of fans intake-exhaust etc causing causing gpu exhaust to recycle. Most of that is determined by simply pulling off the side panel and regaming and rechecking temps. A step by step process.

Next is determining the fix. Can you lower workloads by dumping post-processing settings on clouds and physX and other stuff (can find decent optimizing settings and explanations online on a per game basis) or will adding a fan, changing orientation of a fan or removal of hdd cages suffice. Lastly would be a fan replacement, a better fan designed to force more air in one direction (towards the gpu) and not spread wide etc.

There is no 'easy' fix, no one answer fits all, it's a trial and error process since nobody has the same setup, and what works for others might not solve your particular issues, or vice-versa.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88