Can I do Eyefinity?

DisplayPort is taking over the video world, along with HDMI. DisplayPort (DP) has enough bandwidth to support a pair of 4K monitors at 60Hz each. There is a hub you need to buy if you want to do that, but nothing else can do that. DP is pure digital. You cannot get a higher quality of signal than DP.

HDMI is also all digital. Unfortunately, it has only recently updated its standards to the point where it could handle a single 4K monitor at 60Hz. So unless you have HDMI 2.0, it still cannot do that with HDMI.

Now that might not matter to you today, but that is where the industry is headed. DVI-I is already gone. DVD-D is fading rapidly. Within 18 months I expect DVD-D to no longer be on any new video cards. Just look at the new AMD Fury X. 3 DP ports, and 1 HDMI.

DVI was only really relevant for two reasons: Dual-link DVI ports were able to handle double the data rate of HDMI at the time and DVI-I could work with a DVI, HDMI, or VGA display without an adapter, just a cable with the right ending connector. With HDMI 2.0 being good enough for 4k at higher refresh rates and VGA becoming even less used, DVI really isn't necessary. Anyone who really needs it can still use the HDMI port and an HDMI to DVI-D cable. HDMI even has the advantage of not needing separate cables for audio if the display has integrated speakers.

DVI was never a permanent solution, only a temporary fix to then-common issues.

Montgomery_1

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016

I've be able to run three dell E207WPc monitors in portrait, but I what to run five.

TRENDING THREADS