[SOLVED] Can I do it

Nov 13, 2021
Hi guys, I want to move my Win10pro 64bit ss hd
To: I3 4th gen Haswell LGA1150 Acer mobo
Is it at all possible, even with a little work ???
Cheers George

Last edited:
Solution
Cheers George
If you've backed everything up the only thing you risk is your time trying. You'd have to back up before clean install anyway so that's a wash. One other thing is to be sure to disable Bitlocker if you're using it.

I believe it should work...sort of. At least it has for me through two such changes. Again, sort of. To make it simpler I uninstalled all hardware drivers before moving the drive, then cleaned up video drivers with DDU. Windows uses default drivers for the important ones...network and video. I still had a lot of problems...

4745454b

Titan
First, before doing anything, back up any important files. Anything you can't lose, burn them to a disk, put on a thumbdrive/old phone, backup to cloud space, etc.

Once that is done, I'd honestly just try to move it. More so if the SATA ports are in the same mode. (find this in bios, legacy vs AHCI.) If they aren't the same mode, change it before moving over. Windows handles changes a lot better now than it used to. If it works, great. If it doesn't I find it easier to just format and start over.

Nov 13, 2021
Thanks Titan, the bios's on both mobo's are both AMI, little (differnet in the model no though) so that's also a plus.
Your answer has given me hope, I'll wait for some more answers, for more courage, before I do it with fingers and toes crossed.
Cheers George

Cheers George
If you've backed everything up the only thing you risk is your time trying. You'd have to back up before clean install anyway so that's a wash. One other thing is to be sure to disable Bitlocker if you're using it.

I believe it should work...sort of. At least it has for me through two such changes. Again, sort of. To make it simpler I uninstalled all hardware drivers before moving the drive, then cleaned up video drivers with DDU. Windows uses default drivers for the important ones...network and video. I still had a lot of problems, mostly with a lot of Critical events in Event Viewer but I never got hibernation or sleep to work. I even did repair install with in-place upgrade each time, SFC/SCANNOW and even repairs with DISM multiple times and it didn't fix whatever was wrong.

Windows is resilient I have to give it that as it seems to try hard to keep working even with corrupted setups. But in the end I wound up just doing a clean install both times, even though I probably didn't have to. I was just to darn OCD about the critical events with neither hibernation nor sleep working right.

Last edited:
Solution

4745454b

Titan
I moved the even older windows 7 from a single core AMD machine to a dual core Intel. I knew to delete the harddrive drivers, and even then it took probably a half hour for it to boot the first time. But it did work. No odd things happened. I also upgraded from a 3570K to a 3770K, and had horrible glitching happen. Made gaming impossible because the machine would freeze. I was about to reinstall when a Linux guy told me what was wrong. (I almost didn't try his idea, delete the 8 CPU drivers. Once windows booted back up, not more pauses.) As above, the only thing you got to lose is time. Give it a shot, it might work. Or you'll end up installing which is what you were going to do anyway. I would reinstall if there is any funny business. It will save you so much headache. If moving it worked, great. If not, don't even try to track down the errors. You tried, it didn't work, just reinstall.

Nov 13, 2021
"@SkyNetRising
That's a downgrade. Why do that?"

Yes the cpu is slower, but later I'm maybe getting a I5 4670 if this all works for a couple of bucks, then I'll be in front.
Unless you mean something else is a downgrade??

Cheers George

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021
Crossed my fingers and did it guys, put the Win 10 pro 64bit ssd from the "Ivy" board into the "Haswell" and all worked after it sorted it's self out.
And did the same backwards with the Win 10 pro 64bit HDD from the "Haswell" board into the "Ivy board and it work great after sorting it's self out.

I have a small but real weird, problem though with the Haswell MS-7869 mobo, that was there with either hd's or 2 different cpu's. When turning off and on, there are no problems (off takes 4 seconds) and (on to desktop is 6 seconds) and it's very fast with ssd and I5-4690.

But when doing an auto restart for new programs being loaded, it unloads everything "it seems", as there's no video (black screen) no keyboard or mouse, but the power light is still on, and the cpu fan still spins, but it hangs there, the only way "aid the restart" is to force a shut down in this state by holding the power button for 4 secs then turn back on. Then whatever program I was loading loaded fine???????

Cheers George

Nov 13, 2021
I'll test again now.

Yeah, your right, I was having a guess.
It's still 4 seconds for off, but 9 seconds for on to desktop.
btw tried turning off fast start (in wherever it is), didn't work either.
Cheers George

Last edited:

4745454b

Titan
And it didn't do this before right? Only after the drive swap? From your last paragraph I'm not 100% sure what you are saying is wrong. Other than you try to load a program and it hangs the PC. What is the PSU, Board, and CPU? To be honest I'm not sure what the issue could be. And this is why I said if there are any issues just reinstall. You could spend months tracking down this odd issue, or just reinstall and not have in an hour.

Nov 13, 2021
"And it didn't do this before right? Only after the drive swap?"

Think it was also doing this with the previous owner also.

"You could spend months tracking down this odd issue"
Yeah, I can live with it and just force the restart using the power button when it hangs on a restart.
Cheers George

Nov 13, 2021
Yes the owner of the Haswell mobo had the same problem with the old HDD, now I have it with the new SDD also.
So we can dismiss the problem being related to the 2 x HD's (SSD and HDD) and also the cpu as that was changed also from I3-4370 to I5-4690.

Cheers George

USAFRet

Titan
Yes the owner of the Haswell mobo had the same problem with the old HDD, now I have it with the new SDD also.
So we can dismiss the problem being related to the 2 x HD's (SSD and HDD) and also the cpu as that was changed also from I3-4370 to I5-4690.

Cheers George
Full wipe and reinstall.

Start from a known clean slate.

Or you chase these issues for the next several months.

Nov 13, 2021
Yeah figured, did it a couple of times before never get everything back the same. Think I'll just live with it. As there many asking the same question on the web but none with a definitive fix for it.

Cheers George

Last edited:

4745454b

Titan
Previous owner opens a new can of worms for me. To be honest, unless it's a class family member and even then I'd consider formatting. Their "fingerprints" are all over that into. Autofill in forms that you have to now mess with. customized things they like that you didn't, and worse, you don't know what they were doing or where they were going. How many virus sites did they visit? How many back door Trojans might be on there? Worse, did they put something on there on purpose? Anytime you get a system from anyone else, I'd wipe and reinstall. Not only might it fix the reboot issue but you'll know you have a clean install of windows with nothing spying on you.

USAFRet

Titan
Previous owner opens a new can of worms for me. To be honest, unless it's a class family member and even then I'd consider formatting. Their "fingerprints" are all over that into. Autofill in forms that you have to now mess with. customized things they like that you didn't, and worse, you don't know what they were doing or where they were going. How many virus sites did they visit? How many back door Trojans might be on there? Worse, did they put something on there on purpose? Anytime you get a system from anyone else, I'd wipe and reinstall. Not only might it fix the reboot issue but you'll know you have a clean install of windows with nothing spying on you.
And its not just the previous owner, but everyone who ever used that system.

The stuff I've seen on 'used and new to me' systems would curl your hair.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
You're walking on a busy street in a large metropolitan city. You notice when passing by an alley, there's a hypodermic needle on the ground. You walk over to it and pick it up. Then, you stick the needle into your thigh and push down on the plunger.

Is this something you do? No? Well, what you're doing is the PC equivalent of doing this.

D

Deleted member 14196

Yeah figured, did it a couple of times before never get everything back the same. Think I'll just live with it. As there many asking the same question on the web but none with a definitive fix for it.

Cheers George
The definitive fix is a full wipe and reinstall as mentioned above. It doesn’t matter how much you don’t want to do it that’s how you do it

The second you said you transplanted discs and everything worked out I knew that you would have problems. It never works out. When you switch hardware you reinstall windows or you end up chasing problems like this forever

Nov 13, 2021
"The definitive fix is a full wipe and reinstall as mentioned above. It doesn’t matter how much you don’t want to do it that’s how you do it. The second you said you transplanted discs and everything worked out I knew that you would have problems. It never works out. When you switch hardware, you reinstall windows or you end up chasing problems like this forever "

Yes but I did say the problem was there with the original HDD also. Cheers George

TRENDING THREADS