guitardad

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
I have a single sys I built with Q6600 and 4G Ram, 2HDD, etc.

I run Xp but new programs I have require Win 7 (to take advantage of 64 bit and more Ram).

Should (Can) I add a second drive with WIN7 and host those programs only on that drive?

If not, what's the better way to do get XP and WIN7 on the same system.

My concern is adding 7 as an upgrade and then having mega issues with other programs I have on XP.

I'm considering the CPU will be fine since its a multi core and should handle 64bit OS.

What's the best bet? Will the upgrade be the way to go and write over XP and then use XP comp modes (my concerns) Or should I make this dual boot?

I've never done a dual boot or attempted 2 OS on one sys. Is doing this bad?

Ideas?

Thanks

guitardad

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
Thanks

That's part of my concern. If I have the WIn 7 upgrade kit will that want to overwrite XP? or do I have to have a full version (not upgrade) to install Win 7 on a different drive...

So IOW go ahead and install Win 7 on the same main HDD or use a second drive?

just want to be sure. I have over 50-60 programs or more I'd hate to have to reinstall or even try to locate them lol.

guitardad

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008

Thx

also then would I install only the 64 bit programs on the new hdd with WIN 7 even if they default to my C drive which is XP? I know I can probably change the drive location for program installs.

TRENDING THREADS