Can I Download Windows 10?

Lagsado

Reputable
Dec 31, 2014
Is It Possible to download windows 10 onto a flash drive with the free upgrade? Becasue im pretty sure my boot drive has a cracked chip on it, and whenever it boots, IT shuts down, but my fans and such keep running, and i want to know if i bought a new ssd, and i dont know where my recovery disk is, is it possible for me to download windows 10 onto a flash drive, then plug it into my desk top and load the OS onto my new ssd without having a new windows 10? Or I recently bought a new laptop, and i want to know if i can use the recovery flash drive from that, on my desktop, or is the format different and such, please help!!!!!!!!!!!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
so long as you have already done the upgrade to win 10 on the computer, then no problem using the link above to make a usb stick and do a fresh install onto a new ssd.

but you have to have already done the upgrade so win 10 will activate on that pc. just keep skipping the part where it asks for a key during setup and it'll be fine.

bignastyid

Titan
The latest win 10 iso can use your product key without upgrading. You can go straight to win 10. Just did this with a laptop that was running win 8 when the hdd failed. I installed the new ssd and installed win 10 using the current iso from Microsoft.

Negative as is clearly stated in the link you can use it to perform the in place upgrade for the first time with no other steps. It's not just for clean installs.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

very interesting. i did not realize they had made this change to the process. thanks for correcting me. been a good month since i have done an upgrade so never noticed the change :)

so if you put in your old win 7/8.1 key when prompted it will do the upgrade from a fresh install? i don't see where on that page it "clearly states this" but i'll take your word for it.

It's under the '+' for "Using the media creation tool" and then "Upgrade to Windows 10 using the tool" at the bottom of the page. You have two choices of how to go about it now. The in place upgrade which is the same as if you just used the upgrade notification that Microsoft pushed out, you're just downloading it manually this way. Or as you mentioned the clean install and plug in your 7/8 key at the end, though I haven't tried that method as they only started it a month ago.