[SOLVED] Can I enable switchable graphic card between integrated GPU and dedicated GPU on PC?

Mkazem

Honorable
Jul 18, 2016
I bought a used 1070 ti. It works very nice but I want to be real gentle with it. I was wondering if I can switch to integrated GPU for 2d environments (like how it's done on laptops) to save some power and life span? my motherboard is ASUS Hero Alpha VIII.

I enabled this option in bios
Advanced > System Agent (SA) Configuration > Graphics Configuration > iGPU Multi-Monitor > Enabled

still, there is no option for switching graphics cards in the Nvidia control panel. I can't run the intel graphics control panel either, it says non of the connected displays are using the intel graphics driver.

Solution
You can connect the mobo output to a second monitor or just a second input on your monitor and the iGPU will work, pressing the input button on your monitor is not much work.
Using the new windows 10 graphics option you can select which GPU to use for each program individually but you have to select it for each game.

Ka87GNV.jpg
When the gpu has little to do, it loafs. You will not increase the longevity.

^^that^^

@Mkazem : The only way to be any gentler is to not apply any power at all. That would mean taking it out of the system entirely...each time with some inherent risk of doing it physical damage.

One thing you can do is to undervolt it. It may not help performance-wise (not that I think you want that) but if it stays stable at a lower voltage it's being stressed less electrically. That's a way to be gentler on it when you actually use it gaming, although how much it extends useful life is doubtless debatable.

Last edited:
You can connect the mobo output to a second monitor or just a second input on your monitor and the iGPU will work, pressing the input button on your monitor is not much work.
Using the new windows 10 graphics option you can select which GPU to use for each program individually but you have to select it for each game.

Ka87GNV.jpg

Solution

ginthegit

Distinguished
BANNED
Nov 15, 2012

Ka87GNV.jpg

This is the best option and I have a laptop with switchable graphics that I use this method for.