Can I even replace the motherboard in this prebuilt HP case??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs91

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017
I got so far into researching new mobo/cpu I didn't stop to wonder if its possible to replace the mobo in this unit.

HPE-580T
Truckee-UL8E MB
Core i7-950 (Bloomfield) (130W), 3.0 GHz
2 x 750 GB drives in RAID 0 (1.5 TB usable storage capacity), 7200 rpm, SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)

I don't know if it matters but it was a configure to order type pc.
Upgraded frim GTX 460 to GTX 1060 3gb

I have read that some of these prebuilts may often have proprietary mounting points or I/O plate alignment.
Is there a way to know for sure a new mobo won't fit?

Here are some photos of my current set up.
https://imgur.com/a/fATCz0n

Solution

That LOOKS like a micro-ATX form factor board. But looks can be deceiving! The things to watch for are the mounting...

Mrs91

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017

Sorry I realized I forgot that! I was just adding that in edits

It's about 7 years old pretty sluggish, but the GPU just died so I replaced that and thought about what else I could replace... after many forum posts I decided it may be time to upgrade a few things and realized I needed somewhat of my own rebuild.
Also the RAM is difficult expensive to upgrade because its triple maxed out at 4gb each.
and could use a summer project.

Board layout looks standard mATX. PSU connectors also standard.
I see no problem replacing it with another mATX board.

c01901213.jpg

Mrs91

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017
ahh okay.
my worry is that I can’t move the I/o plate which has been a reported issue with prebuilt type PCs.
A lot of the back of the case has rivets so they can’t be removed as far as I know. I can’t be certain unless I take out the board I guess..?

Most boards I have seen have extra I/o like hdmi and dvid inputs that are in the way of the bottom back of the case where the i/o plate is which is an issue if it can’t be removed.

That LOOKS like a micro-ATX form factor board. But looks can be deceiving! The things to watch for are the mounting holes and the dimensions and location of the I/O panel. This could be a big help if you can get access to take measurements:

https://www.silverstonetek.com/techtalk_cont.php?tid=wh11_008&area=usa

Just scan down to find the microATX form factor critical dimensions.

The other thing I note from pictures, though, is HP located things ABOVE the motherboard so that means you have to be careful about clearance above the particular board you're looking at.

Solution

gewone

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
@Mrs91 :

How did this work out for you? If you even proceeded? I'm in front of the same task, have laid hands on an old (2008) HP desktop PC with a crappy motherboard not even providing an AGP slot, and absolutely no PCI-e slot, and the onboard graphics is D-Sub and crappy as **** and since specs on motherboard (M2N68-LA) says it's just a mATX one, I thought this could actually be worth switching. Case is pretty small tho! Ideas?

USAFRet

Titan
@Mrs91 :

How did this work out for you? If you even proceeded? I'm in front of the same task, have laid hands on an old (2008) HP desktop PC with a crappy motherboard not even providing an AGP slot, and absolutely no PCI-e slot, and the onboard graphics is D-Sub and crappy as **** and since specs on motherboard (M2N68-LA) says it's just a mATX one, I thought this could actually be worth switching. Case is pretty small tho! Ideas?
3 years later...

It would be better for you to create a new thread for your particular situation.

Give us details of the whole system.
Make/model, etc, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.