[SOLVED] Can I factory reset my pc while keeping files when upgrading motherboard.

Sep 5, 2020
So I'm upgrading my CPU and Motherboard, (i5-7400 to Ryzen 5 3600 with a b450m). While re-installing windows can I keep my old files and just re-install windows or will I have to delete all of my files and have a clean installation of windows. How safe is it to keep files while re-installing.

Solution
Thanks. I'm not getting a new SSD with this upgrade so is it just not at all plausible to keep files? The programs I have downloaded will be needed for work etc and they will take a lot of time to re-install so it will be a while before I can actually perform the upgrade as I need those programs.
Files and Programs.
2 completely different things.

You WILL be doing a fresh install on whatever drive, when it is in the new system. OS, drivers, applications....everything. Just like the very first day you turned this current system on.
Your applications WILL need to be reinstalled. The new OS will know nothing about them. They will not run.

kanewolf

Titan
So I'm upgrading my CPU and Motherboard, (i5-7400 to Ryzen 5 3600 with a b450m). While re-installing windows can I keep my old files and just re-install windows or will I have to delete all of my files and have a clean installation of windows. How safe is it to keep files while re-installing.
The best answer is to do a clean install of windows. The safest way to do that is to get a new SSD in addition to the CPU/Motherboard. Then you install onto the new SSD. ALL your old files remain on your current storage. After the computer is built and stable, you connect your old drive to the new computer and copy files as needed.

USAFRet

Titan
"How safe " means a single misclick, and all your stuff is GONE.

In the context of a new motherboard (Intel -> Ryzen), this will be a full clean install. Everything on this drive will be wiped clean.

You have your personal files elsewhere and offline during this process. Off on some other physical drive.

Sep 5, 2020
The best answer is to do a clean install of windows. The safest way to do that is to get a new SSD in addition to the CPU/Motherboard. Then you install onto the new SSD. ALL your old files remain on your current storage. After the computer is built and stable, you connect your old drive to the new computer and copy files as needed.
Thanks. I'm not getting a new SSD with this upgrade so is it just not at all plausible to keep files? The programs I have downloaded will be needed for work etc and they will take a lot of time to re-install so it will be a while before I can actually perform the upgrade as I need those programs.

kanewolf

Titan
If you don't want to reinstall programs, then don't switch motherboards. Upgrade your i5 to an i7.

USAFRet

Titan
Files and Programs.

You WILL be doing a fresh install on whatever drive, when it is in the new system. OS, drivers, applications....everything. Just like the very first day you turned this current system on.
Your applications WILL need to be reinstalled. The new OS will know nothing about them. They will not run.

Solution
Sep 5, 2020
Files and Programs.

Ok thanks for the help!

TRENDING THREADS