[SOLVED] Can I fit 2 more drives in my current build?

Mar 8, 2022
I am getting into video editing and my computer is rapidly running out of space and I am struggling to work out if I have the spare slots/cables/power to add more storage.

Ideally I would like to add another HDD and another SSD.

Could some kind soul tell me from the specs and pics (at the bottom) if I have enough room/cables/power to add the 2 additional drives.

I am thinking something like:
  • Seagate BarraCuda 4TB Internal Hard Drive HDD – 3.5 Inch SATA 6 Gb/s 5400 RPM 256MB - £69.99
  • Crucial MX500 1 TB CT1000MX500SSD1-Up to 560 MB/s (3D NAND, SATA, 2.5 Inch, Internal SSD), Black - £75
If needs be I would be willing to remove the DVD drive (if that makes room for a drive)

Many thanks.

My Current Spec
CPU Intel Core i5 Quad Core Processor i5-7600 (3.5GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS H110M-R: Micro-ATX, DDR4, LG1151, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs
RAM 16GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2133MHz (2 x 8GB)
GPU 6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1660 SUPER
1st Hard Disk 240GB HyperX SAVAGE 2.5" SSD
2nd Hard Disk 2TB SATA-III 3.5" HDD
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER
PSU CORSAIR 350W VS SERIES VS-350
Case InWIN G7

nxyT2XP.jpg

oqtX242.jpg

hqTVqKM.jpg

6gZaPbi.jpg

Solution
To answer your question:
For added connections, you have two X1 slots available in which you could mount a x1 sata adapter card.
They look like this:
https://www.amazon.com/IO-Crest-Controller-Non-Raid-SI-PEX40064/dp/B00AZ9T3OU
You would also need a sata data cable for each drive as well as an available sata power connection.
A molex to data may be required if your psu has no more connections, or if you need longer connections.

Or, another approach:

Replace the 240gb ssd with a 1 or 2tb ssd like a samsung 870 EVO or QVO.
Use the samsung ssd migration aid to move your C drive to it.

On the HDD, while 5400 rpm drives are cheap, the performance is not very good.
7200 is better.
Do you have EXTERNAL backup?
How about repurposing...
ADWF_1_201901081780741373.jpg

I count 4 SATA ports
You currently have 3 SATA devices connected, so you could add 1 more.
There are 10+TB hard drives available.....not sure if you run into a size limitation within your specific version of Windows though. Check that.

Requisite PSA If you're going to have this much data on the line, BACKUPS BACKUPS BACKUPS.

Last edited:
Reactions: vilbs
Thanks both. Stupid question alert, if I remove the optical drive will that give me additional slot/cable for another storage drive?

Yes....you may have to use an adapter to properly mount the drive, depending on its size and your specific case. SSDs can just be tied down if necessary, but a spinning hard drive would require a proper means of affixing it to the case.

To answer your question:
For added connections, you have two X1 slots available in which you could mount a x1 sata adapter card.
They look like this:
https://www.amazon.com/IO-Crest-Controller-Non-Raid-SI-PEX40064/dp/B00AZ9T3OU
You would also need a sata data cable for each drive as well as an available sata power connection.
A molex to data may be required if your psu has no more connections, or if you need longer connections.

Or, another approach:

Replace the 240gb ssd with a 1 or 2tb ssd like a samsung 870 EVO or QVO.
Use the samsung ssd migration aid to move your C drive to it.

On the HDD, while 5400 rpm drives are cheap, the performance is not very good.
7200 is better.
Do you have EXTERNAL backup?
How about repurposing your 2tb hdd as a usb connected backup?
Then fit the 4tb hddin the old slot.

Solution