Question can I fit a EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 XC Ultra GAMING 6GB GDDR5 1845 in a PCI-E x8 slot

May 29, 2019
I just got a dell poweredge t110 for free and I was thinking of turning it into a decent gaming pc but it only has PCI-E x8 slots. If you also know any good x8 gpu for gaming then can you please tell me the name of them.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Based on the specs I'm finding for the Dell Poweredge T110 (first edition), you're not going to make that into a gaming system. If it only has physical PCI-Ex8 expansion slots, you're only going to be able to install PCI-Ex1 graphic cards. To my knowledge, they do not make consumer level PCI-Ex4/PCI-Ex8 graphic cards. If it does has a physical PCI-Ex16 slot (routed to x8), there may be a power (25 watt) limitation.

In either scenarios, you cannot install a decent gaming level graphics card.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: Link8723
A x16 card will work in an x8 slot, but will be limited to x8 speeds. PCI-e is backwards compatible. BTW, is it a full length SLOT ? I'm not sure about your motherboard though....

Three things are important for PCIe connection though:
  1. PCIe version (v1, v2 or v3. Lowest common version is used)
  2. Number of lanes on the card you plug into a connector (e.g. x1, x4, x8 or x16)
  3. Number of lanes supplied to the connector (e.g. x1, x4, x8 or x16)
Any combination of card and slot/connector_on_MB is possible.

EDIT: Never mind....Please follow Wolfshadw's suggestion.

Last edited:
May 29, 2019
Based on the specs I'm finding for the Dell Poweredge T110 (first edition), you're not going to make that into a gaming system. If it only has physical PCI-Ex8 expansion slots, you're only going to be able to install PCI-Ex1 graphic cards. To my knowledge, they do not make consumer level PCI-Ex4/PCI-Ex8 graphic cards. If it does has a physical PCI-Ex16 slot (routed to x8), there may be a power (25 watt) limitation.

In either scenarios, you cannot install a decent gaming level graphics card.

-Wolf sends

If I replace the motherboard with a "https://www.newegg.ca/p/1JW-003E-000E1?Description=lga1156&cm_re=lga1156-_-9SIAH3X7T20870-_-Product" from newegg would i be able to fit a good gaming GPU inside of it.

Wolfshadw

Titan
A x16 card will work in an x8 slot, but will be limited to x8 speeds. PCI-e is backwards compatible. BTW, is it a full length SLOT ?

Just for clarification, a PCI-Ex8 slot is physically smaller than a PCI-Ex16 slot. A PCI-Ex16 expansion card WILL NOT physically fit in a PCI-Ex8 slot (exception open ended x8 slots).

PCIe-slots-1.gif

A PCI-Ex16 slot can be wired/routed to an x8 limitation.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: Metal Messiah.