Can I fit a GTX 1050 ti into an Optiplex 790 case?

Timur Nazarovs

Honorable
Aug 31, 2014
Are there any limitations from the case that prevent me from inserting a gtx 1050 ti into it. I think I have the normal PSU that comes with it (not sure how to check,) an intel i3 2100, originally with integrated graphics but i swapped it out for a cheap gt 710, but that doesn't satisfy my needs as it's a very weak gpu. I don't know what else to write here.

toshibitsu

Distinguished
I had an old Asus G20AJ desktop(one of those slim ones that uses an external power adapter). I upgraded the GTX 750 Ti in it to a GTX 1050 Ti and was only using the 230w power adapter. I was worried I'd need the additional 180w adapter, but tried with just the 230w anyway. The card worked just fine and was able to play games on it without any issues either.

Wolfshadw

Titan
I'd recommend doing a lot more research before plopping down a lot of money, but it looks like there is an upgrade: 400W Power Supply Upgrade for Dell Optiplex 390 790 990 7GC81 6MVJH

If you can verify power supply you currently have is also of TFX form-factor, it should work. Of course, adding more power for a better graphics card means more heat generated. Make sure you have good air flow around the case.

As for moving it to another case, I don't know. It may be a proprietary motherboard or even a proprietary 20+4 pin main board connector.

-Wolf sends

The 240W PSU should work with the GTX1050Ti. The Optiplexes have a 95W CPU limit, and the PCIe slot provides 75W for the GPU.
170W. The 400W rating on the aftermarket SFF PSU is usually bogus. You might try an Optiplex 745 SFF PSU they were 275W to support the old Pentium D CPUs. Seasonic makes some 350W that are legit.
Low profile 1050TI should fit OK.