Can i fit a Hyper t4 on a GA-AB350 Gaming 3 without blocking a RAM module?

Solution
Shouldn't be an issue even if the fan sits over one of the sticks of RAM. The cooler's fan can be slid up in its mounting grooves enough to clear all but the most monstrously tall RAM sticks.

Alexandre Souza

Honorable
Jan 6, 2015
Thx for ur answer! The thing is, on AMD the cooler can be installed only in 2 ways (fan towards the top or bottom of the mobo). Im going with pv416g240c5k (Patriot Viper Series) and it seems too big for the Hyper T4.

http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-air-cooler/hyper-t4/

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Ah... an AM4 socket and a cooler that uses the snap mount on the AMD retention bracket. Most other coolers would require the retention bracket to be removed and the cooler's hardware to be installed so the cooler could mount in any direction. I forgot that the Hyper T4 still uses the old snap bracket.

Your link to the cooler shows the heatsink width is 131.6mm. half that (65.8mm) would be the distance from center of the socket to the edge of the heatsink. Can you measure your board and see how much room you have from center of socket to start of the DIMM slots?

You may have to choose a different cooler that lets you remove the AM4 retention bracket. Do you have any of the components yet, or are you just in the planning stage?

Alexandre Souza

Honorable
Jan 6, 2015
No, I havent bought anything yet.
I saw in a video someone using the new compability kit for am4 using a backplate + an cross shaped bracket. So he can rotate it. But still, I'm worried cause the cooler is very big!
The Mobo will be an atx. Is there a pattern distance between socket and memory modules on atx mobos?
Thx for ur kind help!
[Edit] the video I saw was with hyper 212 led.

https://youtu.be/VNjkDoYZYjU

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Yeah, the 212 was hanging over the first RAM slot. There is no standard spacing from CPU socket to RAM sockets that I'm aware of. Why not go for the Hyper 212 instead. That cooler lets you remove the AMD retention brackets and use the cooler's hardware. That would allow you to mount the cooler in any direction, doesn't it?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Bummer. If you find some RAM w/o huge heatsinks, the T4 should still be fine even if it overhangs the DIMM slots. CM wouldn't sell many of those coolers if there was a major problem that way.

Here's another point in favor of the T4; if you are only planning on using 2 sticks of RAM, the board's manual says they should be in slots 2 and 1 for best performance. That leaves the slot closest to the CPU empty.