Question can I fix bad keyboard?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
I have a decent ergonomic keyboard by Microsoft that I love it so much but one of the keys
is not working. Is it possible to fix it by myself? and how? Warranty has expired

Ralston18

Titan
Which key?

How is the key "not working"? Sticking/ repeating/not sending the key, etc..

Spread out a towel.

Unplug the keyboard and turn it upside down over the towel.

Gently but firmly tap the ends and sides with the palm of your hand. Likely that lots of crud will fall out. Especially if you eat while working or playing on the computer.

With any luck you may dislodge some piece of debris from around the key and all will be well.

Failing that: pry off the key cap and clean. That is more risky but could be worth the try.

Nothing to lose with the keyboard not usable anyway.....

Love those ergonomic keyboards; I have a couple.
Try the steps suggested above to clear the problem.
If your problem started under warranty, or even close, give microsoft rma department a call.
I did so in the past and the person I talked to was very sympathetic and quick to offer to send a replacement. No need to return the old unit either.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
Which key?

How is the key "not working"? Sticking/ repeating/not sending the key, etc..

Spread out a towel.

Unplug the keyboard and turn it upside down over the towel.

Gently but firmly tap the ends and sides with the palm of your hand. Likely that lots of crud will fall out. Especially if you eat while working or playing on the computer.

With any luck you may dislodge some piece of debris from around the key and all will be well.

Failing that: pry off the key cap and clean. That is more risky but could be worth the try.

Nothing to lose with the keyboard not usable anyway.....

The cap lock

It is not responding at all. Hitting on it doesn't capitalize the letter and the LED light for cap doesn't light up

TRENDING THREADS