Question Can I fix my ryzen 3 2200g pins

May 18, 2019
I broke a few pins off of my ryzen when I first tried building my pc on Christmas and I haven’t been able to find a fix since. Everything in the pc powers on when I turn it in but there is no display on my monitor. I really want to start gaming hardcore on pc instead of my little laptop that can’t run anything at all accept crappy roblox which I don’t play and have no interest in and I don’t have the money to replace the ryzen. If any body knows any cheap ways to fix please inform me

If you can't afford a new CPU, you could try straightening out any bent pins, and manually installing the broken ones into the corresponding holes in the socket, then installing the cpu on top of them and hoping they make proper contact between the CPU and motherboard. I haven't tried this myself, but have heard of it working before.

Here's an old (NCIX) Linus Tech Tips video for example, in which he does just that...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdDccsbv5hA

It might be best not to try straightening pins using random pokey implements like he does though. Using the hollow tip of a mechanical pencil might work better. You'll want all the pins to be straight to avoid breaking more off when reinstalling the CPU. Here's another video showing that...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bjPSH41FRQ

It may not work, but it could be worth a try. Try to avoid bending any bent pins back and forth repeatedly though, as that will tend to weaken them, and could cause more to snap off. And if you manually insert pins into the socket, make sure you are placing them in the correct holes, for the same reason. And of course take your time, to reduce your chances of making things worse. : P

Do you happen to have a photo of how the pins are damaged?

Edit: One other thing I should probably point out is that if you place broken pins in the socket, but end up replacing the CPU, make sure those broken pins are not still in the socket when installing the new processor, unless you want more broken pins. : P You might also want to avoid putting little fragments of pins into the socket, since they might be hard to get out. And if you try this, it would probably be best to leave the motherboard outside of your case while doing so, at least until after you (potentially) get things working. That way, you'll be able to reach things easier, and can turn the motherboard upside down to get broken pins out of the socket if needed. And if this somehow manages to work, I would avoid removing the CPU again unless you are replacing it, since there's no guarantee that it will make proper contact again.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018
Can confirm putting the broken pin into the socket in the holes where it should be actually works... I've had one of the pin on my Ryzen 5 pin broke off and some bent..The bent ones are easy to fix even when you dont have specialized equipments,I use my Debit card and other cards thats thin enough to get between the pins.I also fixed the broken by placing the broken pin the socket in the holes where they should be but it took alot of dedication bcs u might place it in the wrong hole for a few times or dropped it (i did it on a black surface so i can see the pin where they dropped) after that I place the cpu like normal and then turn on my pc and it boots.I tested with a few games and there no performance impact

Can confirm putting the broken pin into the socket in the holes where it should be actually works... I've had one of the pin on my Ryzen 5 pin broke off and some bent..The bent ones are easy to fix even when you dont have specialized equipments,I use my Debit card and other cards thats thin enough to get between the pins.I also fixed the broken by placing the broken pin the socket in the holes where they should be but it took alot of dedication bcs u might place it in the wrong hole for a few times or dropped it (i did it on a black surface so i can see the pin where they dropped) after that I place the cpu like normal and then turn on my pc and it boots.I tested with a few games and there no performance impact
It MAY work..it all depends on which pins are broken. Some of the pins are redundant. YMMV.