can i fix water damage to the gpu

misfitkid86

Distinguished
May 23, 2012
hey, so it seems i got a couple of drops of water on my gpu, it was only in one spot but it seems to have caused major issues with the card, both bios's are the same and when i game it crashes to a no display and windows says something about nvidia drivers. question is: there is gunk around some of the chips on the back of the board, can i use a toothbrush to scrub that off? lightly of course but what can i do to make it clean? thanks!

illuminatuz

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
Use concentrated isopropyl alcohol to clean your GPU.. and use a cotton swab.. not a brush..

- Dip the swab into some of the alcohol,
- Gently scrub on the surface of the electronic,
- repeat if necessary,

and you are done.. :)

just a question, in the presence of moisture, did you power it up? or did you remove the moisture and then powered it up??

if you did the former, there is a high chance that your GPU's life is greatly reduced..

misfitkid86

Distinguished
May 23, 2012

well i sadly didn't know there was anything wrong with it for like a week of running, it was maybe a drop or two but i assume it was wet when i ran it, i'm so bummed and am sending it in for rma to evga.

misfitkid86

Distinguished
May 23, 2012

i uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, i tried the official and the beta and both failed sadly.

illuminatuz

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
Not just uninstalling the drivers. After uninstalling the drivers, some residual files will create conflicts with the newer files.. That's why you uninstall the drivers, use the link I gave to remove the drivers completely and then install the drivers fresh..

Here it is how you do..

- login into safe mode

- uninstall drivers

- run the driver sweeper and remove the driver files that you cannot see and will not get uninstalled

- restart PC

- install latest drivers fresh

Then test.. If it's still troubling, go for RMA..

misfitkid86

Distinguished
May 23, 2012

yeah i did that, and in safe mode, i think it's just had it sadly, hopefully they don't give me a hard time in rma!

misfitkid86

Distinguished
May 23, 2012

great, i contacted them and had it on it's way the next day. they had it for less than an hour and then sent me a different one which actually had better memory than what i sent them. it was quick and easy the only bummer was i had to pay for shipping. how'd your's go?