Can I force my video settings to high/ultra and go beyond 2GB on GTX 960 without damaging my PC?

fragment0

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015
Hi there, this is probably going to be a dumb question, but I am not good with video cards and stuff and that is why just wondering...

Here is the computer I have with all the specifications in that link https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c04799759

Couple questions:

Im trying to make Far Cry 5 look as beautiful as possible with the abilities my computer has so far and it plays okay. I have some high settings, some are even ultra, such as water quality for example as it barely used any video memory etc and its all on 16x9 res. This is pretty much as much as I could get out of this non-overclocked (single fan) video card.

My monitor is 1920x1080 144hz asus

I noticed some people try to go beyond the limits of their non-overclocked video cars and increase settings to high on everything which goes beyond 2GB of video memory.

So, the question is simple: how fast will I damage my video card (or will i) if I try to go beyond 2GB and increase my settings even higher or even change res to 1920x1080 which will make it 2.5GB or something of video memory used, yet my card can only hold 2GB.

Will I kill my video card doing it?
What if i only play 2 hours or so and then give it a break? Wil lthat make any difference?
Obvious answer is not to try this of course, but im just wondering and want to make sure nothing explodes there in the box with me doing it lol

---------------------------------------------------

And the second question which I kind of found my answer for I think, but better ask experts :)

I willl be buying this video card https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01IA9FEOO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

or I will be buying this https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForce-ZT-P10600A-10L-Compact-Graphics/dp/B01IA9FEOO/ref=pd_cart_crc_cp_1_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01IA9FEOO&pd_rd_r=fa94939d-71ce-4820-8816-88466f66f228&pd_rd_w=Zv0LB&pd_rd_wg=Zt9Qm&pf_rd_i=cart-page-widgets&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=8397c35b-3bc2-4adc-86f8-74aa03873087&pf_rd_r=ZFXJ1166ZZ9C069A6BW3&pf_rd_s=cart-page-widgets&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=ZFXJ1166ZZ9C069A6BW3

Question is, knowing the specs of my computer that i mentioned in the beginning of my thread, do you think that 1060 single fan should fit in my computer box?

Thank you folks.

Solution
I'd agree with the other guys. But would add, that the GTX960 you currently have has dimensions of 17.5 x 11.2cm. The GTX1060 mini is 17.4 x 15cm (approx) you will need to measure inside the case to be sure.

WildCard999

Titan
Raising the settings won't hurt the graphics card however the system will be forced to use system memory if it exceeds the 2gb and you'll experience poor performance. Those cards may fit, you'll need to measure the space in the tower at the PCIE slot to make sure it will fit length and width.

You can push your settings as high as you want. All that will happen is that you might run out of vram causing stutters, fps drops,...

As for the card fitting. How long is the current card? If there is room for a regular 1060 that would be better since the mini has limited cooling. You also realise you linked the same card twice just one is on the canadian store and one on the us store right?