[SOLVED] Can I gain more power from my I7 4790 non-k?

Zacny

Commendable
Dec 10, 2020
Hello everyone!
I am wondering if there is any possibility to gain more power from my CPU.
My specs:
CPU: I7 4790 non-k
MOBO: MSI B85M-E43 DASH (MS-7830)
GPU: GTX 1080TI
PSU: 750W
I know that non K cpu can't be overclocked, but i heard that it's possible to set constant turbo boost, or make it hit higher clock.
My I7 runs at 3.8GHz max, and it's quite weak in games like warzone or cyberpunk :/.
I know that this CPU is quite old, but i dont't want to upgrade my pc now, I am waiting for DDR5.
Sorry for language mistakes, I hope that you can help me guys :).

Btw.
Is it worth to wait for DDR5?

Solution
My friend said that he is not sure if it's worth to buy I7 4790k now, he says the main reason is my motherboard, Probably I will be not able to overclock it with my current mobo, oc boards are quite expensive and it's hard to find a new one. I think that upgrade of the whole base will be much better. I wanted to wait for ddr5, so I can upgrade it in the future. I know that AMD allows to use one motherboard for multiple CPU generations.
Even without an overclock, the base clock on the 4790k is faster. Of course a full upgrade would be better, but without unlimited money you have to seek value. If you wait for ddr5, your system will be so slow by the time you upgrade that even a 4790k won't be enough. It's always better to...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Non k should still be viable, wouldn't be worth upgrading just to overclock unless find one dirt cheap but then also, ya wouldn't know how it's been treated.

How much ram have you got? Warzone does run better with 16GB.

What's your system idle usage?

Zacny

Commendable
Dec 10, 2020
I have 16gb of ram I don't remember if it's 1333 or 1600mhz, I will check system idle usage later, beacouse it's almost 4am here, and I am going to sleep.

Zacny

Commendable
Dec 10, 2020
My friend said that he is not sure if it's worth to buy I7 4790k now, he says the main reason is my motherboard, Probably I will be not able to overclock it with my current mobo, oc boards are quite expensive and it's hard to find a new one. I think that upgrade of the whole base will be much better. I wanted to wait for ddr5, so I can upgrade it in the future. I know that AMD allows to use one motherboard for multiple CPU generations.

Even without an overclock, the base clock on the 4790k is faster. Of course a full upgrade would be better, but without unlimited money you have to seek value. If you wait for ddr5, your system will be so slow by the time you upgrade that even a 4790k won't be enough. It's always better to upgrade when the need arises instead of waiting for something to come down the pipe which will be expensive because of the demand (like what has happened to the amd cpus as of late).

Solution

Zacny

Commendable
Dec 10, 2020
Ok, I have decided to upgrade my system to 5600x. I have something around 700usd for the parts, so I think that will be enough. Now i have to choose what motherboard i should buy, beacouse I am not sure if overclocking 5600x is worth it.