Can I get a better internet?

AlbanHampton

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Okay, so I'm with talktalk, according to speedtest.net i get 3.21Mbps download speed, 0.67Mbps upload speed and a ping of 46. I have tried too see if i can get fibre optic, but I can't, I can only get the internet using the phone line. When I'm downloading something I get a max of 500KB/s download speed, and whenever I do download things the internet is unusable for everyone else. So my question is, can I still get a decent internet connection from my phone line? Because I use the internet a lot (gaming/downloading) and I am sick of getting nagged at by my family.

Solution
USAFRet is correct, it all depend upon where you live. For consumer Internet you're looking at Cable/Broadband or Phone. Usually Broadband is faster then Phone based. So if you have Cable TV or at least have it available in your area I would check with them first. Otherwise, Phone lines are really your only other option. You could try asking your phone provider if they can turn up the speed any higher (obviously they will charge you more). Depending on your phone lines they may or may not be able too. Older and lower quality phone lines just can't handle it. Technically there are other options available but they really aren't consider "consumer level". Prices tend to be very expensive for what you get.

I hope that helps.

AlbanHampton

Distinguished
May 2, 2013

Well I'm in stoke, and the only option is through the phone line, and I doesn't really matter who's paying :lol: I don't want it to be more than £20 a month though

Kindredsouls

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
USAFRet is correct, it all depend upon where you live. For consumer Internet you're looking at Cable/Broadband or Phone. Usually Broadband is faster then Phone based. So if you have Cable TV or at least have it available in your area I would check with them first. Otherwise, Phone lines are really your only other option. You could try asking your phone provider if they can turn up the speed any higher (obviously they will charge you more). Depending on your phone lines they may or may not be able too. Older and lower quality phone lines just can't handle it. Technically there are other options available but they really aren't consider "consumer level". Prices tend to be very expensive for what you get.

I hope that helps.

Solution