[SOLVED] can i get a gaming pc with $400?

Apr 14, 2020
storage: i want an SSD with at least 240 gb of storage. i already have a terrabyte of hdd
cpu: intel or amd
gpu: a good igpu from radeon or any graphic card that is capable of running games at least for medium graphic
PSU: the long lasting one
case: under 15 bucks

thank you!

Solution
No. It's not possible. Not if you want something with substantially decent performance.

This is about as cheap as it gets if you want something that won't purely be a waste of money.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-10100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($129.96 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B460M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2666 CL15 Memory ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Mushkin Enhanced Helix-L 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($36.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 570 4 GB Phantom Gaming D Video Card ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design...
Something like this...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor | $148.94 @ Amazon
Motherboard | MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard | $84.99 @ Newegg
Memory | G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory | $54.99 @ Newegg
Storage | PNY CS900 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive | $25.99 @ B&H
Case | DIYPC Solo-T2-BK Black USB 3.0 ATX Mid Tower Case | $33.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply | SeaSonic S12III 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | $54.99 @ Best Buy
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $403.88
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-13 22:01 EDT-0400 |

Reactions: Turtle Rig
No. It's not possible. Not if you want something with substantially decent performance.

This is about as cheap as it gets if you want something that won't purely be a waste of money.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-10100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($129.96 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B460M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2666 CL15 Memory ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Mushkin Enhanced Helix-L 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($36.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 570 4 GB Phantom Gaming D Video Card ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Fractal Design X2 GP-12 (White) 52.3 CFM 120 mm Fan ($12.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $571.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-13 22:09 EDT-0400

Solution
It is most definitely possible to play games with a $400 PC, unfortunately, you will most likely be turning down settings if you choose to play anything modern or demanding.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
CPU | AMD Athlon 3000G 3.5 GHz Dual-Core Processor | $49.00 @ B&H
Motherboard | Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard | $72.99 @ Best Buy
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory | $39.99 @ Newegg
Video Card | ASRock Radeon RX 570 4 GB Phantom Gaming D Video Card | $129.99 @ Newegg
Case | Rosewill FBM-X2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case | $34.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply | EVGA BR 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | $49.99 @ Walmart
| Total | $402.94
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-13 22:20 EDT-0400 |
The real issue here is the 3000g, which really struggles for a lot of games. Though the rest of the parts being as cheap as possible, cheap ssd (though not the worst), cheap psu (though not the worst), very basic case, and a rather basic motherboard.

If you were to go used you could get better performance for your price.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
You guys rock at building a nice sub 400 dollar rig lol. Man the AMD 570 is only 130 bucks,, the performance is close to a 1650 or something rather. I mean you can OC it and make it a 580 which is between a 1650 and a cheap 1060 card with cheap VRAM. I think the Dual Core is a nice idea but man it has to be very underpowered because dual core is old technology. Games will not like it and they also won't like a iGPU OP. Very nice job Hawk my friend. If he could spend 600 what more could he get, I wonder. :sneaky:

That build will suffer HORRIBLY if you are playing anything more demanding than browser games. It's fine for watching video or surfing the web, but it's not essentially useful for any modern gaming system, not even an entry level one. As I said before, WITHOUT THROWING YOUR MONEY AWAY, which is what you would be doing if you spent 400 dollars and ended up with that system that is no better than an i3 from ten years ago. Many games today will NOT EVEN PLAY on a dual core system, and it's been that way for at least ten years that I know of for a number of games.

Using that APU would be foolhardy at best, for any "gaming system", and an outright act of idiocy (No offense NightHawk) at worst, because ten minutes after you start using it you're going to already be trying to find somebody to kick you in the ass as hard as they can for being so dumb.

It's like buying sandals when you are supposed to be getting cleats, for the soccer team, because "at least they're shoes". Well, yeah, they're shoes, but you're going to have a really lame time trying to play soccer wearing sandals, and I don't mean casually, on the beach. The comparison is pretty much apt.

This should be better...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
CPU | AMD Ryzen 3 3100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor | $129.99 @ B&H
Motherboard | ASRock B550M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard | $83.98 @ Newegg
Memory | G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory | $54.99 @ Newegg
Storage | Silicon Power A55 512 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive | $46.99 @ Amazon
Video Card | ASRock Radeon RX 570 4 GB Phantom Gaming D Video Card | $129.99 @ Newegg
Case | Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case | $40.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply | Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | $64.94 @ Newegg
| Total | $551.87
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-14 00:01 EDT-0400 |

Yeah, but that 4 core 8 thread i3 configuration will outperform that pretty easily, both in highly threaded AND single core favored games, since that Canyon lake CPU has much stronger cores and since both CPUs will be limited to the same number of threads.

Plus, the Focus G is a far better case than the Core 1100, and is a full mid tower, not a microATX mini tower, to boot. The Mushkin SSD is a much better drive than the A55, with 970 EVO Plus like longevity and the Pro4 is just a better board with better features such as more fan headers, etc. Well worth another twenty bucks IMO for what the differences represent.

I mean, if you're going to game at low or medium settings, at 720p, then great, you can probably get away with the Vega graphics on one of the APUs (And keep in mind, there are newer, more powerful APUs coming out in the next month or two, which might make iGPU gaming a bit more realistic than it is now), but for 1080p medium settings on anything other than the lightest duty eSports games, you're looking at a big, fat raspberry. You'll need to run the absolute lowest settings and you'd better expect everything about it to suck for any standard AAA games. Pointless in my opinion UNLESS you are specifically and ONLY planning to run a game, or games, that you know can basically be run on a potato. Otherwise, it's just a self induced situation that is going to lead to this in the end.

f5b6572a2427c3fe5c6a5250438e5ee7.jpg

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
CPU | Intel Core i3-9100F 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor | $71.88 @ Newegg
Motherboard | ASRock H310CM-DVS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard | $53.98 @ Newegg
Memory | G.Skill Value 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2400 CL17 Memory | $30.99 @ Newegg
Case | CiT F3 MicroATX Mini Tower Case | $32.27 @ Amazon
Power Supply | SeaSonic S12III 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | $54.99 @ Best Buy
| Total | $400.09
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-15 08:40 EDT-0400 |
Poor upgrade path but good best performance possible for the budget.

Sorry man, but to me, the only things in that build that are actually worth using are the memory (sort of) and the graphics card. I sure as heck wouldn't recommend using ANYTHING from CiT, whether it was a case or a power supply, and I would definitely not recommend using the S12II with a gaming card that requires auxiliary power. I also REALLY dislike the use of PNY product OTHER than their Quaddro graphics cards, since they are a primary board partner for Nvidia and it's workstation products. I have had really terrible experiences with practically all of their storage, SD card and flash drive products over the years. Hate 'em.

And as far as that motherboard goes, I would fully expect it to fail on day 366, without exception. :)

The 9100f is a pretty good budget CPU. It has very good single-core performance (for the price) though it may not play nicely if you throw the latest greatest games at it due to it just being a 4c/4t CPU. For the money, I don't know of any better choice.

The motherboard is quite literally the cheapest you can buy, but it doesn't need to be anything fancy for a locked i3 and some basic ram. I don't see why it would be unreliable. At least it's not some Chinese unbranded board, though AsRock isn't amazing.

The ram is nothing fancy, but it's fine for the build and should give proper dual-channel support. I would assume it has a lifetime warranty given the brand too.

The CS900 isn't the worst you can get. For the price, it's pretty good. It is dramless, but the controller itself has double the cache of most controllers which helps to mediate some of the issues with dramless drives. Its TLC, and not QLC, which is a point in its favor. Honestly, I have used several cheap dramless drives and I am unable to notice the difference between them and my $120 NVME for basic usage. Reliability on a dramless drive is a point of concern, though my brother has used a BX200 for like 5 years with no complaints, though it is now a secondary drive.

I have yet to have a single bad experience with PNY. I had a PNY GTX1050 and never had an issue with it. I also had a PNY GTX770 recently and it was pretty quiet and was still working well all these years later. I have used a few PNY flash drives and only had one PNY USB drive fail and Customer service was easy to deal with and prompt which is far better than the service I received from Kingston when my A400 died. I actually have a 500gb CS900 coming in the mail today for a HDD replacement in an older laptop.

The RX570 is average. A solid performer in general.

The SeaSonic S12iii isn't amazing, but I would expect it to reliably power the system. Its a budget system and a budget PSU to match. Should anything go wrong you would have great customer service. Alternatively, you can get a CX450 for $10 more, which would be a good idea.

While I haven't used the case personally I have a friend that uses that case. It's not very good, but you would expect that for the price. It gets the job done and there really isn't anything to fail in a case, other than a fan.

All in all, it would be a pretty decent gaming PC for the price. Should run any game you need, though you will have to keep your expectations in check if you want to play very demanding modern titles. You get what you pay for.

For $15 more, you could get this which would be my pick, though the last build is the best you can do with the price, in my opinion.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
CPU | Intel Core i3-9100F 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor | $71.88 @ Amazon
Motherboard | MSI H310M PRO-M2 PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard | $59.99 @ Walmart
Memory | G.Skill Value 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2400 CL17 Memory | $30.99 @ Newegg
Case | CiT F3 MicroATX Mini Tower Case | $32.27 @ Amazon
Power Supply | Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | $64.94 @ Newegg
| Total | $416.05
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-15 13:12 EDT-0400 |

Better PSU and a nicer motherboard with an m.2 slot. The SSD isn't an issue in my opinion and cheap cases are fine.

Last edited:
CPU is fine, for the price, but the problem is, four core CPUs stopped being adequate for entry level gaming systems three years ago. In a pinch, sure, if you are going to stick to games that use very little CPU resources, but you'd want to make SURE that a user is aware of that going in otherwise they are going to be sad, and end up having to spend money on an upgrade within weeks of firing it up.

Just changing the PSU makes that a little better, but it's still more like something we'd see from one of our members in the middle east who have a terrible time getting decent hardware than it does from one of our US members. None of which really matters, since the OP is from Indonesia and none of the hardware that any of us has put forth is going to be likely to be available to them, or available for the kind of prices we're looking at. Whole thing is a waste of time really because that market is entirely different and WAY more expensive.