Can I get a higher stable OC with water cooling after delid?

overdriver_pt83

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
Hi! My first time writing here.

I would like to know if I drop temperatures on my cpu cores, will I be able to reach higher speeds?

My setup:
CPU: I7 7700K
Cooler: CM EVO 212
Mobo: Asus Prime z270m
Ram: 32GB Crucial ballistix 2400Mhz 1.2v
Case: Bitfenix prodigy M (Matx)
GPU: gigabyte gtx 1060 6GB
PSU: Corsair VS650

At first I could only get to 4.6Ghz with AVX offset of -2 @ 1.22Vcore. Temperatures were on the edge of 80C

Then, I've delided my CPU and now temperatures decreased 20C.

I'm trying to set it up to 5GHZ but it seems to me like the only way I can do it is with 1.45Vcore (HW monitor, 1.42V manual setting (BIOS). either way, it seems stable but the temps go up to 88C on cinebench and the same while running AVX stress tests like prime95 @ 4.8Ghz ( AVX offset - 2).

So, my question is, if I change my cooler to a single fan AIO like Kraken x42 (Cant fit 2 fan radiator on the case, it will mess with the gpu air flow) will I be able to reduce Vcore and temps gaining stability?

Any sugestions are very welcome! :)
Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Luís

Solution
My experience has been that lowering temps (at least without sub-zero cooling) does not measurably improve overclocking. You *might* get 100mhz more, but mostly the only benefit you'll see is that you can add more voltage before it starts to throttle - you're not likely to get higher frequency at the same voltage.

overdriver_pt83

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
Hi. Thanks for the quick answer.

I simply fear that my chip is not that good and even with lower temps, i might not be able to reduce vcore and maintain stability. or even not be stable at 5ghz with lower temps.. I think 1.45v is too much. and it's running with LLC in level 5.

Do you think lower temperatures usualy mean lower vcores for the same speed? And by the way will a kraken x42 make such a huge difference while compared with cm evo 212?

Thank you

overdriver_pt83

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017

Hi. Thanks for the quick answer.

I simply fear that my chip is not that good and even with lower temps, i might not be able to reduce vcore and maintain stability. or even not be stable at 5ghz with lower temps.. I think 1.45v is too much. and it's running with LLC in level 5.

Do you think lower temperatures usualy mean lower vcores for the same speed? And by the way will a kraken x42 make such a huge difference while compared with cm evo 212?

Thank you

as you suspect

you might not have the best overclocking cpu

so reducing temperature may not give any more headroom

and i wouldnt feel comfortable putting 1.45v through my 7700k--i dont go over 1.4v though seen people say they are using 1.45v to 1.5v

especially with only a 212 evo on it too

you could drop it to 4.8ghz or so and bring the voltage down a bit---4.8ghz in real life use isnt much slower than 5ghz

though its nice to know you reached the magic 5ghz mark i know

D

Deleted member 217926

I would like to know if I drop temperatures on my cpu cores, will I be able to reach higher speeds?

Doubtful. HardOCP didn't despite a 23C temp drop.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/01/19/intel_kaby_lake_i77700k_cpu_delid_relid_results/

overdriver_pt83

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
Thanks for the link... Yeah.. that´s what I fear...

Meanwhile i've been testing and think that I found a balance to the CPU OC eventhough temperatures are a bit nasty.

So, I am running right now a blend test on prime95 and reaching 89C max core/package temp. gaming BF1 - 76C and cinebench 78C

the only thing that freezes up is realbench stress test. Any way got to try to re-install it.

I'm running the CPU@ 1.395 Vcore (HWmonitor and BIOS max vcore of 1.408v)
LLC level 4
50 multiplier
AVX offset -3
And an important thing, I'm in Portugal and today is about 30C ambient.

This makes me think if I still have a chance of reducing temp with single fan AIO and be able to reduce Vcore maintaining this setup... :/

My experience has been that lowering temps (at least without sub-zero cooling) does not measurably improve overclocking. You *might* get 100mhz more, but mostly the only benefit you'll see is that you can add more voltage before it starts to throttle - you're not likely to get higher frequency at the same voltage.

Solution

overdriver_pt83

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
Thanks..I guess that's it... this is the limit.

Well, any way, got to reduce temps... maybe an AIO or for start I may apply the thermal grizzly conductonaut between cooler and IHS... EVO 212 has copper pipes so.. there's no problem, I think.

Thanks everyone! :)