Can I get a HP Pavilion G-Series G62t-350 to run a I7-7700K?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charstratos

Prominent
Oct 20, 2017
Alright, so, I purchased a HP Pavilion G-Series G62t-350 with the intention of rebuilding it from the ground up and making a true demon of it.

The two processors I am looking at are the I7-7700K or the AMD Ryzen 1950X, the issue is that while the MOBO that came in the G62t-350 has an interchangable processor (the serv-man says so) I do not know if it can use the processors that I plan for (listed above), or if I will need to look at a new MOBO.

Thank You All For Any Help,
Leonardo Romulus Quintair.

No, that motherboard uses a first generation Core i3-330M. The only processors you can fit in there are from the first generation Core i series. Assuming it is the PGA988 socket (removable CPU).

Assuming the BIOS has the correct microcode for all socket compatible CPU models. This list contains all that could possibly work.
http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/Intel/Core_i7_Mobile/i7-640M_(PGA988).html

According to the service manual. The highest processor officially supported is the Core i7-620m. That doesn't mean the 640m won't work. It just means that is the highest end CPU HP included in the G62 series.
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02542102.pdf

Yes. Never buy a laptop with the purpose of upgrading it, as you are normally limited to upgrading ram and hdd/ssd only. Some can upgrade CPU, but only within the same CPU generation. And only a very few can upgrade GPU as the GPU is soldered to the motherboard on most laptops.

charstratos

Prominent
Oct 20, 2017

What do you mean build a new system?

Also, would it be possible to just get a mini tower, so the HW I want in /it/ and then connect it to my laptop?

charstratos

Prominent
Oct 20, 2017

Numerous reasons, one, I know more about working on PC's. Two, got in over my head with a laptop, but, still needs to be portable. A mini tower fits all of those. Plus, I can connect it to all of my windows devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.