[SOLVED] Can I get a Ryzen 5 1600 AF to run at R5 2600 clock speed w/o losing turbo mode?

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
I know, dumb question. But if I simply increase the 1600 AF's multi from 32 to 34 so the clock speed equals the R5 2600, will that disable the turbo mode function?

Last edited:
Solution
Changing the multiplier would disable turbo boost, so I would not simply bump the multiplier up by 1.

The CPUs realistically perform the same. If using the stock cooler, I would advise keeping the 1600af at stock speed.

If you have a good cooler and B or X series motherboard, you might as well try your hand at overclocking it as far as you can safely. Likely you will get to about 4.1ghz, plus or minus 100mhz.
Changing the multiplier would disable turbo boost, so I would not simply bump the multiplier up by 1.

The CPUs realistically perform the same. If using the stock cooler, I would advise keeping the 1600af at stock speed.

If you have a good cooler and B or X series motherboard, you might as well try your hand at overclocking it as far as you can safely. Likely you will get to about 4.1ghz, plus or minus 100mhz.

Solution
Base clock overclocking is a bad idea since it overclocks EVERYTHING in the system can can cause unexpected problems, like corrupt data or usb/sata controllers that no longer work.

Changing the multiplier from 32 to 34 is going to lock the CPU to 3.4ghz on all cores, and they won't go higher.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No. It just adds a ton of heat, which for a Ryzen = death to core multipliers.

For every degree or two above 60°C, a Ryzen will downclock a thread by 50-100MHz. Meaning if you add to the BCLK and increase the speed of the cpu, the additional rise in temp will check that and downclock. Net gain Zero.

Ryzen boosts according to load, temps, core usage, voltages. If any one sees gains, boosts suffer. The Ryzen wants max performance as it sees it, not necessarily as you see it. A Ryzen would rather game at 100fps for an hour or more at 80°C than allow you to push it to game at 120fps for 10 minutes, then shutdown after it reaches 100°C.

Best thing you can do for a Ryzen is reduce heat, reduce voltages. That'll allow it to boost higher on more cores. But any setting changed off Auto means a manual OC setting, so boosts will respond accordingly. Don't change/set vcore, change VID, that'll still allow boost algorithms to function, just at a lower voltage supply from the motherboard.

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
No. It just adds a ton of heat, which for a Ryzen = death to core multipliers.

For every degree or two above 60°C, a Ryzen will downclock a thread by 50-100MHz. Meaning if you add to the BCLK and increase the speed of the cpu, the additional rise in temp will check that and downclock. Net gain Zero.

Ryzen boosts according to load, temps, core usage, voltages. If any one sees gains, boosts suffer. The Ryzen wants max performance as it sees it, not necessarily as you see it. A Ryzen would rather game at 100fps for an hour or more at 80°C than allow you to push it to game at 120fps for 10 minutes, then shutdown after it reaches 100°C.

Best thing you can do for a Ryzen is reduce heat, reduce voltages. That'll allow it to boost higher on more cores. But any setting changed off Auto means a manual OC setting, so boosts will respond accordingly. Don't change/set vcore, change VID, that'll still allow boost algorithms to function, just at a lower voltage supply from the motherboard.
Thank you. Is that just a Ryzen thing, or does that apply to the older CPUs as well? Phenom II, Visheras, Intel i-Cores, etc?