Question Can I get a wired connection upstairs?

mumbo40

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014
My router is downstairs, I would like to connect my computer, which is upstairs, straight from the router (no power link or equivalent). Any way to do this? Can you get a second router or something? I don’t really want to run a cable from downstairs to upstairs.
Any help appreciated.

If router has wireless can get wifi extenders with ethernet port that plugs into a power socket to power the extender and connect pc via network cable.

If ethernet over power is out of the question then wifi is the only option besides wiring a network cable inside the wall.

mumbo40

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014
If router has wireless can get wifi extenders with ethernet port that plugs into a power socket to power the extender and connect pc via network cable.

If ethernet over power is out of the question then wifi is the only option besides wiring a network cable inside the wall.
I want my full 350mbps but can’t get it with power line or WiFi (wanting stability too)

Through the walls? I’m not sure where to start
U can run a long extension cable on the floor as long as nobody complain.

U probably heard ethernet is best but as soon as you introduce wireless in the path, the cable advantage goes away, is like fireman_hose --> GARDEN_HOSE --> Fireman_hose. So am just repeating what ^he says.

Middle solution POWERLINE, not as good as pure ethernet but can be better than wireless. This is asked everyday so I will let you do your own research on this technology.

BTW if u don't know where to being, paying somebody to do the job is always an option.

Reactions: boju

kanewolf

Titan
Through the walls? I’m not sure where to start
The best recommendation is to pay someone that has specialized tools and experience to install your ethernet cable. There are installers and companies that specialize in low voltage (network, speakers, alarms, etc) wiring that can get an install done with minimum mess. That would be my recommendation.

Reactions: boju