Can I get (and use) DirectX 10 without Vista??

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
There are projects in the works that are reverse engineering DX10 for XP, but they are slow and buggy right now and still won't necessarily convince the games that you actually have DX10 (they might check for Vista instead of DX10).

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
no there isn't a flawless way, however there are hacks/rumors floating around that you can use the DX10 SDK on windows xp to let you run some DX10 stuff

Belinda

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
Theres some group that i think was mentioned in some newsletter from cnet or some such site, anyway some real site not an inquirer type one. I went over to take a look and they have set up Direct X10 to work in a wrapper. That said, i say work ..it doesn't actualy do anything at the moment. They have the files etc for download. If only i can remember the link. Anyway I think it will be the case like emulators will need a far more powerful machine to run the thing in a non Vista OS, than with Vista for the same results.

Claig

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
nope u can't use DX10 in XP

Not yet certainly. Ah well, let's hope this Alkyl project comes to fruition.
Hopefully the kinks in Vista will have been ironed out by then, so it won't be necessary.

We can all dream, eh?

crackdlr

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
that's how MICROSOFT is FORCING users to pay even more - for a slower, bloated, less functional program

no vista - no dx10 candy, biaaa
that's what you do when you have a monopoly

ima stick with my dx9 and probably replay some of the older classics -screw paying $600+ so i can have sweet shadows, ... :roll:

Claig

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
I'm not quite sure where you got $600 from. There are plenty of legal ways to get vista for free (I use the MSDN-AA, but another way is to find a friend with it pre-installed who wants XP, let him install xp with your key and you install vista with his).

If you meant the GPU, I'm sure the bulk of people buying dx10 cards are doing so for their excellent dx9 performance or video decoding. Since you're going to upgrade eventually anyway, you may as well get a dx10 card when you do.

Oh yeah, nobody is FORCING you to do anything.

killer_roach

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Right now you can not even get DX10 on vista to work. :lol:

From the Lost Planet DX10 demo, I can say otherwise. Game sucks, but it sure looks pretty :)

And crackdlr: The NT5 core has had a run of roughly seven years (from Windows 2000's release in February 2000 on). It's Microsoft's prerogative to be able to move the clock forward a bit. You have to have a new system to run DX10 games; why not a new OS? Just because you don't like Vista doesn't mean MS can't require its use. And, with a new copy of Vista Home Premium not really being much of a difference in price than what a new copy of XP used to be, it looks pretty much like a wash from the system builder's perspective.

crackdlr

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
sorry, you are wrong.

dx9.0L was some code-name for early dx10 development (like a "dx10 beta")

what you are reffering to is some RUMOR that was started back in october 2006 that said Microsoft was going to release a patch so people could play dx10 games on XP... no f-bomb way - THEY GONNA BLEED YOU DRY!!

hahaha - people actually think Microsoft is "for the user"? :lol:
wake up, son.

sources:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20060525104034.html

killer_roach

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Windows Vista Ultimate is completely unnecessary, and you know it. Stop being disingenuous. Even amongst enthusiasts, not much more than Home Premium or Business is necessary, unless you just want bragging rights.

crackdlr

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
disingenous, eh?

most people use xp pro, sir, NOT XP HOME or XP MEDIA CENTER EDITION

take a poll if you want
why? because it works better. cause thats how MICROSOFT takes your money

you probably also believe Vista Home runs faster too, huh?