Can I get buy without upgrading?

rx8_86

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
My ATI 9800XT needs replacing. I have received some ideas on replacement from the forum. My question, do you think this computer has enough "juice" to get by for another two years? I understand buying another AGP graphics card is something I won't be able to transfer to a newer computer later but at the same time, I really don't want to spend to upgrade the whole computer. The computer has been pretty fast (or so it seems) this far. I have played Call of Duty among other games.

Dell XPS Gen 2
Pentium 4, 3.2 ghz
2 GB RAM
TBD Graphics card to replace the ATI 9800XT

Fast enough to get by with just a replacement graphics card?

Thank you

skolpo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Get by, as in, not break down in two years? It should as long as you take care of it. But if you're talking about keeping up with games, I doubt it. Right now, games seem to have reached a pinnacle point, but it'll surpass that eventually and definitely within two years. Take the advice you received from this forum since they know what they're talking about.

What games do you expect to play and at what resolution and graphics quality?

You could play a game like (at least according to the minimum specs requirements:
Fallout 3
Oblivion
Dead Space
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Borderlands
Far Cry 2

You can't play the following games because your system (CPU) is below specs:
Dragon Age
Resident Evil 5
Assassin's Creed I & II
GTA IV

You can probably get by for the next two years if you choose your games properly and keep you settings to medium. You need to search for system requirements of games you want to play.

The best AGP card you can buy will probably be the HD 4670.