Can I get Chrome to search based on a fix location and not VPN server location

hw_user

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
I am in Canada and just started to use VPN for security. I found out that Google search results are based on the location of the VPN server that I am connected to. For example, the price on a web page is displayed in Singapore dollar if I am connected to a Singapore Server. I believe Google is trying to be smart to provide you inof based on your location. How can I get google to stick to Canada regardless of where is the server I am connected to ?

You should be able to let google bypass the vpn, how hard it is to implement depends on the vpn client. Sometimes you can just use the route command to bypass the vpn.

Google has tracking cookies it uses. Some of these appear to collect data from previous searches. I don't know if you can set them manually. I tend to not use google at all when I am using vpn. I get constant captcha challenges say are you a bot. What it is really doing is detecting changes to its tracking when multiple people share the same IP address in the VPN. It is doing all it can to track you searches even when you run via a vpn.

hw_user

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Thanks for the response. May I ask what browser do you use ? Will IE or Firefox fix my issue ?
Can I ask one more question. As I said I just started using VPN and my default browser us Chrome. I was browsing a BBC site and it gave me a message saying that some content can only be display if I am in UK. I switched my VPN server to a UK server and restarted my browser. But I still got the same message. Is it not VPN is suppose to act as a proxy and let people think that I am from the location of the server that I am connected to ? If this is true, why I am still getting the message. Do I have some misunderstanding here ?

True vpn do not care what browser or other program your are running. The VPN software is something you install and run independently of any browser,

There are some things you can set in browsers but those are more proxy than vpn. A proxy is a similar concept but only works for browser traffic and many things like video inside the browser may bypass it. It is also possible for web pages to detect the proxy setting and attempt to bypass it but it has been a long time since I used proxy because it is very limited in what traffic it has a effect on.

Nov 24, 2018
Just go to https://www.google.com/preferences and scroll down to regions and choose "Canada". You must be logged into your Google account though, so if security is a concern create a throwaway account.

By doing so, you are essentially sharing all of your searches and sites with Google while on a VPN, so just an FYI.

You used to be able to use google.com/ncr for Google to force "no country redirection", but they no longer support it the last I looked.