Question Can i get license off windows 8 disk

EzRiIgK

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012
I have a copy of window 8 Pro but have misplace the little card that comes in the box with the license number on it. Is there any way to get the license number from the disk?

USAFRet

Titan
If you have activated before on that system it might activate again without the key. I saw Linus do it with Windows 10. I don't have to keep using my key either. It just works. I don't think Windows 8 was much different as far as the activation goes.
The licensing between Win 8 and 10 is very very different.

A Win 8 that was preinstalled from the factory would almost certainly not need any license key upon a reinstall.
A Win 8 that was bought by the user will absolutely need a valid license key on a reinstall.

The licensing between Win 8 and 10 is very very different.

A Win 8 that was preinstalled from the factory would almost certainly not need any license key upon a reinstall.
A Win 8 that was bought by the user will absolutely need a valid license key on a reinstall.

I would have probably known that if Windows 8 wasn't such a hated and short lived OS. But anyway if the data was ever on the HDD it's there still somewhere most likely. Just don't expect me to know where it is. If you lost your key it's just gone as far as I know. You probably have to buy a new key. I'd go with Windows 10 unless you absolutely have to have Windows 8.

Just put Windows 10 on a USB drive and install it without a key if you have to. Or dare I say get Linux.