Can I get my 18.5" Flatron to render 1080p?

necroheadbanger

Honorable
Sep 8, 2017
Hello.

I'm using an LG Flatron W1943SE (VGA) which is plugged to my GTX 1050 with an HDMI adapter. The native resolution of this monitor is 1366x768 (but by some reason it's defaulted at 1360x768, maybe because of the GPU). Whenever I turn my resolution up to 1366x768, the screen stretches too much, and if I put it to 1080p I get a huge black line on the left side of the screen and I can't see anything. I've tried changing the resolution via the Nvidia Control Panel and the Windows options, but it's the same, and I'm a bit of a noob on this stuff.

So, is there any way to put my resolution in 1080p without messing my screen up or I need a new HDMI display to render 1080p?

Thanks for your answers.

Solution

Try the following:
go to Device Manager (just type that into the start menu to search for it)
Expand monitors
You should see your monitor there, probably listed as a generic PnP monitor
Right click on it, choose Update Driver
Choose Browse
then look for the folder where you've extracted the driver (the folder with the .cab and .inf files).
That should do it.

Also, see if...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For some wierd reason, games and other software is built around a 1360x768 resolution but monitors come in 1366x768. If you specify the software resolution as 1366 you end up having the bottom of the screen cut off, which gets annoying with some games having bottom menu buttons/bars.

1360x768 is not a true 16:9 aspect ratio, which is widescreen, it's really a 4:3 aspect ratio just like older CRT's and Tv's, which is why you can't get 1920x1080 (1080p) to look right. You've got a square monitor, not a wide one.

If you want 1080p you'll need a new monitor, one that's 1080p (1920x1080)

jasonkaler

Distinguished

1366 x 768 is 16:9 aspect ratio. 1024 x 768 is the square 4:3

I've got the same monitor and don't have any issues like that, but I'm not going through HDMI, my video card has VGA out.
You should see if you can force the 1366x768 resolution with your video card drivers.

Have you installed the driver for the monitor?
http://www.lg.com/in/support/support-product/lg-W1943SE-PF

necroheadbanger

Honorable
Sep 8, 2017

Yeah, I've tried, but I think I'm not able (or I'm just a total noob). I get a .cat, an .icm and an .inf file, I don't know where to extract them or if I should open any of them (I've tried but they seem to do nothing). Sorry for my total noob-ness.

jasonkaler

Distinguished

Try the following:
go to Device Manager (just type that into the start menu to search for it)
Expand monitors
You should see your monitor there, probably listed as a generic PnP monitor
Right click on it, choose Update Driver
Choose Browse
then look for the folder where you've extracted the driver (the folder with the .cab and .inf files).
That should do it.

Also, see if 1366x768 32bit 60hz is in the resolution list, following these instructions:
https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-add-a-custom-screen-resolution-in-windows-10/

Solution