Question Can I get virtual keyboard before login to my Chromebook ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hw_user

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
I am using my Chromebook for watching Videos (Youtube , Movies...). I have it HDMI connected to my TV. I want to put it on a shelf under the TV. But the shelf is not tall enough with the lid open. I can power it on with the lid closed. The first thing after power on is asking me to login. I have to pull the Chromebook out of the shelf, open the lid to type in the login password. After login, I can bring up the virtual key board. With a remote mouse clicking on the virtual keyboard or voice control, I can get to the video I want to watch. You can see that the login password part is biggest issue for this setup.
Yes, I can use the Chromebook without logging in. But I will not have any history of what I was watching. I was wondering if I can get the virtual keyboard before login . Then I can just use the mouse to enter the password. I could not find an answer after doing some google search. Can anyone share their experience if they have similar need ?

hw_user

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
The requirement being to have the virtual keyboard available to enter the Chomebook's password at boot time - correct?

Are you able to enable the virtual keyboard at boot up?

FYI:

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/6076237?hl=en

https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-enable-and-use-the-chromeos-virtual-keyboard/

https://techwiser.com/enable-use-disable-chromebook-screen-keyboard/
Thanks for the suggested links. I did what was suggested before. As I mentioned in my post, I can get the virtual keyboard no problem after I login. The issue is I cannot get the virtual keyboard to enter the password in order to login.

Nov 23, 2022
Hello this is Gulshan
Well, you can get a virtual keyboard before logging in to your Chromebook by using the on-screen keyboard in the Chrome OS login screen. To access the on-screen keyboard, click on the status area in the bottom-right corner of the screen, next to the time, and select the "Keyboard" icon. The virtual keyboard will appear on the screen, allowing you to enter your login credentials or navigate the login screen using the mouse or touchpad. Keep in mind that the on-screen keyboard may be limited in its functionality compared to a physical keyboard, but it should suffice for basic navigation and typing.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

hw_user

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Hello this is Gulshan
Well, you can get a virtual keyboard before logging in to your Chromebook by using the on-screen keyboard in the Chrome OS login screen. To access the on-screen keyboard, click on the status area in the bottom-right corner of the screen, next to the time, and select the "Keyboard" icon. The virtual keyboard will appear on the screen, allowing you to enter your login credentials or navigate the login screen using the mouse or touchpad. Keep in mind that the on-screen keyboard may be limited in its functionality compared to a physical keyboard, but it should suffice for basic navigation and typing.
Thanks
Sorry, it's been a while. Someone borrowed my Chromebook. I just got it back to try your suggestion. The "Keyboard" icon only allows me to choose what keyboard layout I want to use (US keyboard, US International Keyboard, US international(PC) keyboard...... and so on). It does not bring up the virtual keyboard,

hw_user

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. It is not the "keyboard" icon. It is the "accessibility" Icon. I can select the virtual keyboard option after I click on the Accessibility Icon.

Status
Not open for further replies.