Can I get your overall opinion on this laptop, as well as answer a hard drive question?

GamingJuice

Reputable
Jul 22, 2014
Hello, I plan on purchasing a new laptop for work/gaming in the near future. I'm more than happy with its specs but I'm a bit confused regarding the drives. It comes with two 1TB drives, one SSD and the other HDD. I'm unsure of which drive the computer is going to be booting off of. I'm assuming it's going to boot off of the HDD, so when I receive this could I make it so that it boots of the SDD instead for faster boot times and such? And if I could do that how difficult would it be to achieve this? And if I can't do this, can anyone show me a type of laptop with similar specs that boots off the SSD? I know I'm asking for a lot, but I'd hate to make a mistake in such an expensive purchase. Thank you so much in advance! Here's the link to the laptop:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAPK5AS0207

Solution
Contact XOTIC and ask.

Be wary of their answer.

The overview (via the link you provided) lists the SSD first. Hopefully that is indeed the boot drive.

Finding it curious that there are no product reviews by end user/customers.

Plus the images and "bundle promotions" ( a $10.00 keychain?) make me very uneasy about buying from them.

Likewise "Game Journal", "high performance cooling pad"???

"Ships from the United States" does not mean anything at all with respect to quality or real end-user value. Gimmicky in my mind.

Also had a very gut reaction, purely subjective, that the product is overpriced.

Keep looking is my recommendation.

Ralston18

Titan
Contact XOTIC and ask.

Be wary of their answer.

The overview (via the link you provided) lists the SSD first. Hopefully that is indeed the boot drive.

Finding it curious that there are no product reviews by end user/customers.

Plus the images and "bundle promotions" ( a $10.00 keychain?) make me very uneasy about buying from them.

Likewise "Game Journal", "high performance cooling pad"???

"Ships from the United States" does not mean anything at all with respect to quality or real end-user value. Gimmicky in my mind.

Also had a very gut reaction, purely subjective, that the product is overpriced.

Keep looking is my recommendation.

Solution

neiler0847

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015
I can't imagine why anyone would build a computer that has an SSD and does not boot from it. I don't think you need to be worried about that. And yes, in the unlikely event that it did happen, you could reconfigure the machine (by reinstalling Windows and tweaking the BIOS).

I don't know anything about XOTIC. There are few bad reviews on newegg, but most seem pretty darn good.

I have to say that I find the 1 TB SSD / 1 TB HDD combination to be a bit odd. Since the cost per GB on an SSD is so much higher (than HDD), you would expect to see a combination like 256 GB SSD / 2 TB HDD. That would still give you a blazing fast machine and knock $350 off the price.