Can i have 1x8GB and 1x4GB RAM?

STIHL

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2013
I was just about to buy another 8GB of RAM as with only 8GB, i come across problems where windows would send a message saying to close applications, or the games would simply just crash. But my friend just said i could save money and buy 4GB which would make 12GB. This would save me money (around £30) and i donr actually need 16GB, 12 would be perfect. If i got the same model of RAM but in 4GB could this work, or am i better off going with 16GB? Also could i change my page file size to prevent crashing, even if it means that i will get worse performance?

Yes, you can use 4+8GB ram modules. But you'll loose dual channel memory operation (4+4 or 8+8 is required for that).
What was that about page file? What page file settings are you using currently?

1. When buying dual channel RAM, its always best to but them in pairs as you can't use dual channel without 2.

2. When adding RAM, the likelihood of the two working together decreases with the number of things that are different ... make, model no, OEM supplier of modules, speed, timings, voltage. Whenever possible, buy the exact same model / size.

3. Even if everything is exactly the same, the chance of success decreases with speed.

4. RAM is only warranted to work when all RAM in use, arrived in the same package.

5. Even with an exact model number match, the RAM may not be the same as vendors often switch module suppliers.

In short, yes you are much better off going with an exact match of 8GB of the same make, mode and everything else.

STIHL

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2013

It is DDR4 RAM, what do you mean by i would lose dual channel? Is that a problem or not?

Dual channel is dual channel.... no mater what number comes after the DDR ... same recommendation as above post but the point where you begin having issues with matching new and existing is a bit higher ... above 2666 I wouldn't chance it.

It means - instead of dual channel mode your ram would work in single channel mode (or flex mode if available).
It also means slightly lower performance than your hardware would be normally capable.

STIHL

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2013

So my RAM currently is single channel as i only have 1x8GB? and i will not see a performance decrease if i add 4GB, i will just increase the capacity? please correct me if i am incorrect, but this seems like the better choice as my performance will be the same, but a larger ram capacity, which would stop me getting crashes and massive fps drops when the 8GB fills up.

STIHL

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2013

Mine is 2133MHz, and because i am using single channel (I believe, please correct me if i am wrong) becasue i have 1x8GB. And adding 4GB will increase RAM to 12GB, but it will stay in single channel and keep the same performance?