can i have 3 displays with nvidia geforce gt 635?

glasshalffull

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
i just bought an xps 8700 and it's got:

1 display port

1 hdmi

1 vga

I'm using the vga and the hdmi for my 2 computer monitors

can i connect the display port to my tv via hdmi and use that as a 3rd screen when i want to use my tv with my desktop computer?

I know that i would need to purchase a display port to hdmi cable

here is my system...running the nvidia gt 635 graphics card:

Summary
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz 34 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0KWVT8 (CPU 1) 28 °C
Graphics
1024MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635 (NVIDIA) 33 °C

TSSTcorp DVD+-RW SH-216DB SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Computer type: Desktop

Solution
Man you are killing your system with that GPU. i7 4770, 16GB and GT635? Anyway since this is what you have, it depends on your daily use. Also do you want to run all three screens at the same time?

Gate9er

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Man you are killing your system with that GPU. i7 4770, 16GB and GT635? Anyway since this is what you have, it depends on your daily use. Also do you want to run all three screens at the same time?

Solution

glasshalffull

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
yeah i know, i got a deal on this and my plan is to upgrade the GPU to something more suitable shortly. I'll mostly be using it to watch videos from my computer on a tv and i do not need all three screens going at the same time, but since the displayport was available, i thought i'd see if it would work...as it would save me having to swap cables/ports if i had to disconnect from any of the other 2 screens.

glasshalffull

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Gate9er.....after the holidays, I'll be looking into updgrading to a better gpu....looking at the asus gtx 670, maxing out my ram and i'll need to upgrade the power unit...looks like i can do it with 650 watts

I'm not looking for top of the line performance. I do not play games, but do basic to mid level video editing and adobe creative cloud, after effects, premiere pro, photoshop.

If I'm editing an 5 minute video which is effects heavy, I just don't want it to take 7 hours to render, just get it done reasonably.

I also will watch netflix, hulu , youtube and some recorded videos for work maybe 12 hours a week

it looks like the 670 would do the job , i think it's compatible with the mobo, and I can get it at a reasonable price as there are better gpu's out there

do you think this gpu would suffice?

Gate9er

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

In order to get audio from the gpu's display port to the screen, you need to have an spdif cable conected. Otherwise you need to connect speakers to the motherboards onboard audio or dedicated audio card.

glasshalffull

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

no i hadn't...as you can tell, I'm not well versed in this arena, lol.....so I've been researching/learning

I'll dig into that gpu and compare

again....thanks for the help

Are you sure? Nvidia cards can do audio over PCIe and my 6xx cards do not have a SPDIF connector but they do have display ports.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-635-oem/product-images

I can't see any SPIDF connector in that image.